Chapter 14

"Dil, just go back to sleep," Miles said quickly. "This is just a dream. Get back in bed and resume snoring. You didn't see anything."

"That only works in movies and books, Miles. I know what I saw. You just appeared out of nowhere. Dressed like a thief!"

"I'm not a thief," Miles said and sighed. He dropped the symbiote vial carefully on his desk before throwing his mask onto his bed. "I was just doing some detective work of my own."

"Where'd you get the vial from?" Dil asked and stared at the symbiote which now seemed to be swirling even faster right now.

"Dr. Connors's office," Miles answered.

"Does he know you took it?"

Miles shook his head.

"Does Max Modell know you took it? Does anyone know you're in possession of whatever the hell that is?"

"Nah, not really," Miles said and shrugged.

"So, in summary, you're really just saying that you stole the glowy black liquid?"

"That's not just a liquid, Dil. It's a symbiote, it's sort of an alien life form but this one is still dormant because it hasn't bonded with a host yet."

"Why'd you steal it?"

"Because it can also be used as a highly destructive superweapon, Dil! Whoever took Connors must be after the symbiote, that's the only reason why they'd kidnap someone like Connors. For his research."

"So that's the symbiote you told me about like a week ago?"

"Yes."

"And this invisibility thing is also part of the superhuman powers you were talking about."

"Yes."

"And that's why you managed to survive your insane injuries from the shuttle incident and recover so quickly?"

"Yes."

"This is insane. What the hell do you plan on doing with the symbiote?" Dil asked. "It needs to be in containment, not sitting around on a desk."

"The only place it's safe right now is with me. If there's an attack on the school, they'll be sure to head to Connors's office in search of the symbiote. They won't expect it to be with a student."

"Unless they have a way of tracking the precise location of the symbiote."

"Then I'll take necessary precautions if that's the case."

"Miles, this is absurd!"

"Dil, if you so much as try to be a snitch, I'll erase your memories up until fourth grade. Are we clear?" Miles threatened.

"You can wipe memories?" Dil asked, fear now etched onto his face.

"Yes," Miles lied.

Miles later kept the symbiote in his dresser, safely hidden behind some of his shirts. Every time he touched the vial, he felt a jolt and some sort of cold chill spreading throughout his body.

Once he'd hidden the symbiote and was now on his bed, ready to sleep, Dil began his disturbance.

"So you're a superhero?"

"I'm not a superhero."

"What are you calling yourself?" Dil asked. "Invisible Man? Spider-Boy? Spidey? Webcrawler?"

"How about Spider-Man?" Miles suggested.

"Isn't that already taken?" Dil asked. "People wouldn't really approve of some new kid donning the mantle of the world's greatest superhero."

"Well, there isn't really anyone around to don the mantle anymore. Except me. So they're going to have to make do with what I have to offer."

"You sure you can do it? Spider-Man was spectacular. Bloody amazing."

"Well, I'm gonna be ultimate."

"Can you time travel?"

"No."

"Can you see into the future?"

"Nope."

"Can you see through people?"

"Nope."

"Do webs come from your wrists?"

"No, I don't really think so. I haven't explored that yet but I don't think that's remotely possible. It's also gross."

"It kinda is," Dil agreed. "Do you have super speed or strength or anything? Can you fly?"

"Dil, let's just go to sleep," Miles snapped. "I have the same questions as you, I don't know all my powers just yet."

"Alright, alright. Good night."

Dil didn't speak again but Miles knew he was awake, simply staring up at the ceiling. And from his heartbeat, Miles knew Dil was afraid of him. His best friend was afraid of him.

"Dil."

"Yeah?"

"You know I'm not going to hurt you, right?" Miles said. "You're my best friend and you don't have to be worried."

"I'm not scared because of you. Not entirely. What if we get attacked again? For the symbiote."

"I'll protect everyone. I'd die trying to do that. I can't let them get their hands on the symbiote, whoever the hell they are."

"You think it's more than one person?"

"I do."

"I don't want you to die protecting me, Miles."

"I don't want to, either. But I will if I have to."

"So you are a superhero?"

"No, not yet," Miles said and smiled. "You're not a superhero if you don't have a dope suit."

"I guess a hoodie works."

"Then I am a superhero," Miles said and they both laughed.

He'd heard clanging, footsteps and voices. He knew something was wrong. He got off his seat and walked towards the thick glass that had caged him in this prison.

Someone screamed, there was shooting and the ground shook. He started taking deep breaths, unsure of what was really going on.

Then someone appeared in front of his cell. Someone tall and thin, and wrinkled and with short white hair. His eyes were red and the grin on his face made him look terrifying.

Someone else in a blue and black armor entered and stood beside the white-haired nightmare. He had blood on gauntlets he was wearing and some blood had splashed onto his face.

"Wha-what do yo-you want from me?" he asked and took a couple of steps backward in his cell, now wanting to be here more than anything.

"Your intelligence. Your wits. Your wealth," said the white-haired man. "We want to take over the world and we need you and a couple more things before we set the Plan into motion."

"Why would I help you? You're killers!"

"You hate Max Modell more than anything in the world. He and his brat students put you in this cell. I'm sure you want some revenge. And there's a reward if you help us."

"What's the reward?"

"Power. Raw, infinite power. We'll be gods over them all."

"What do I have to do?"

"I simply need you to build. I need weapons. And you, Alistair Smythe, are the right man for that."