Chapter 16

"Yesterday, a contained explosion at Horizon High led to the swift capture of a known criminal and international weapons smuggler that has been aptly dubbed as Shockwave. Footage provided by Max Modell and his security team show that the criminal was engaged in battle with a masked superhuman who used electric attacks. No sound is provided in the footage but analysts at the Daily Bugle have deduced that the criminal was after one of the projects by Curt Connors, a globally renowned scientist who went missing. Shockwave is currently being held prisoner at M-X Maximum Security Prison which is owned by Max Modell himself in partnership with the United States government."

Dil sighed and paused the news broadcast which he was watching from his laptop. "I won't say I'm unimpressed or disappointed. It's actually pretty cool that you've put one supervillain behind maximum security bars."

"Sensing a but?"

"But," Dil began and rubbed his forehead. "Don't you think the fight went your way too easily? Almost as if he intended for himself to be captured?"

"Nobody intends to be behind bars in M-X. It's impossible to escape and anyone in that prison is automatically presumed to have a life sentence. They don't get hearings in court or judicial proceedings. I definitely got him."

"The first time you encountered him, he beat. He broke you. You were in a bed for a week. How is it possible that you've automatically improved your skills so dramatically between now and then that you managed to defeat him without so much of a bruise?"

"Oh, there's bruises," Miles clarified and pointed at the pack of ice he was holding against his chest.

"You know what I mean. Plus, that bruise healed yesterday. You're just overexaggerating it."

"Probably. But if he does try to escape, there'll be a nationally broadcasted alarm and every security agent in the United States of America will arrive at the prison to put him back behind bars. Including me."

"Don't think about how his escape plan would be a flop. Think about why he'd event want to be imprisoned."

"I'm new to this, okay? I don't have a super database or a British butler. I can't automatically just know all the inmates in the prison to know why he'd want to be in there. I'm not a detective!"

"I'm saying you shouldn't have let him be imprisoned."

"You wanted me to keep him in my custody? Wouldn't he just escape and continue to rampage throughout New York? He might have blown up even more than just an office."

"Let's stop talking about this," Dil said and sighed again. "Let's move onto much more pressing issues of personal security and identity protection."

"I'm not going with your idea."

"Miles, I've reworked my idea. By an insane amount. It's completely different. And I know exactly the guy who can help make that idea a reality."

"What are you talking about?"

"A super suit, Miles. You can't take on all the bad guys in the world dressed in a hoodie and a mask that makes you look like a robber."

"Oh dear."

"We're going home in a couple of days for the weekend break. I know a guy who has all the resources to build you a nice suit at a really affordable price."

"Really affordable for you might be 'unaffordable' for me," Miles said and groaned as he removed the ice pack from his chest. "Plus, I think a hoodie and mask works much better than spandex."

"Who said anything about spandex?"

"Dil, just how much have you reworked your idea?"

"A ton. The suit's going to be a made out of a vibranium alloy and it's extremely light and feels almost like fabric but its also extremely durable, bulletproof and a lot more. The suit will have integrated circuitry, infrared vision, night vision, a custom HUD and facial recognition scanners."

"Are you trying to make me into Iron Man because that sounds like a lot of tech and it's definitely not going to be as affordable as you say it will be."

"It will be. It's Andy Stark who'll be making this suit for us. I already contacted him and sent him a concept for the suit."

"I'm just knowing about this?"

"I did it overnight."

"How much is your 'reworked idea' going to cost us?"

"$1000," Dil answered.

"One grand for all that tech? That's too cheap."

"Told ya. Andy isn't into all of this for money but he does want to make some little profit though. He does what he does simply to experiment with technology."

"Huh-uh."

"Quick question: would you like propellers in your suit? You'd be able to fly."

"No, thanks. Flying would be too hard to master."

"True," Dil agreed and smiled. "Your suit is going to be freaking fresh!!!"

Richard stared at the blond man who entered the same cell he was in. His hair was short and he had a deep scar over his eye that made him look menacing.

"What are you looking at?!" he growled at Richard.

"You seem in a foul mood."

"I had to cut my hair during processing. It's the only thing I ever loved and now it's gone. Now do you understand why I'm in a foul mood?"

"No?"

"Oh well."

"Well, best to get comfy. We'll be in here for a long, long while," Richard said and leaned against the wall behind him, staring up at the ceiling.

"I don't intend to be in here longer than 48 hours," the new inmate said and grinned. "I've already located my target."

"This is just getting started."