Chapter 39

“New York faced one of its greatest threats yet when it was nearly destroyed by a maniac known as Grandmaster,” said a news reporter on the TV. “But new heroes rose up to protect the city and the people. We don’t know much about them but we do know that they laid down their lives to protect people that they probably didn’t even know and for that, I speak on behalf of the city and say we are grateful. Information produced by eyewitnesses and Max Modell names the heroes as Shockwave, Nova, Symbiote, and Spider-Man?”
The reporter paused for a while with a smile on her face then continued.
“In two days, the government will present these heroes with a key to the city and in hopes that they’re seeing this, please come. Show the city that you’re there to fight for it when the need arises.”
Miles smiled and turned the TV off and turned around to see a grinning Dil trying out different symbiote looks. It was exceptionally easy to customize your outfit when it was communicating with you mentally.
“Well, we’re recognized.”
“And it’s deserved,” Max said as he strode into the office. “You all are heroes in your own rights and the city needs to acknowledge that.”
“But you also did realize that they just broadcasted to all villains in the world that New York is ready for them?” Miles stated.
“Well, we’re bound to have one villain after the other coming, it’s part of our lives now,” Max stated.
“So you don’t care that the public knows Max Modell is the man in the blue and red suit of armor.”
“They knew Tony Stark was Iron Man. Seemed right if we’re trying to carry the Avengers legacy on.”
Michelle and Hay walked in at that moment and Dil’s symbiote immediately protected his face but Hay already caught a glimpse. “It’s okay. Michelle filled me in on the superhero thing.”
“Michelle?” Max repeated.
“I had to. She’s my best friend and it was getting hard leaving her in the dark. Plus I thought we’d be dying soon so I confessed.”
“Well, I trust Hay so it’s okay,” Miles said calmly and Hay smiled at him causing Michelle to look at the two of them awkwardly.
“Where’s Sam?” Miles asked and looked around. “He’s checking in on the Captain in the MedBay. Turns out he’s a fanboy.”
They continued to talk and fantasize about our superhero futures and Miles was subjected to watching a couple of romantic, awkward moments between Dil and Hay, but he didn’t really care so much anymore.
And then they left one by one till it was only Miles and Michelle in the office, staring at each other in awkward silence. “Well, I know we haven’t spoken so much since we met,” Miles began and rubbed the back of his head gently, “but you’re cool and we should hang out sometime. Anytime. If you’re okay with that.”
“Wow, Spider-Man’s asking me out,” Michelle said and grinned and she stepped closer to Miles. “Are you saying you like me?”
“I haven’t said that yet,” Miles murmured and smiled.
“But do you.”
“You want to hear me say it, don’t you?”
“Yup,” Michelle said and blushed. “Just to iron things out and provide a bit of clarification.”
“Well, I like you.”
“Awww,” Michelle said, causing Miles to smile awkwardly. “That’s so sweet, I don’t know what to say.”
“Are you serious?” Miles queried.
“I’m just kidding. I like you too,” Michelle said and held Miles’s hand in hers. “And not because you’re Spider-Man but because you’re the cool, honorable Miles Morales. And I can’t think of a better person to like.”
“Well, there’s Justin Bieber,” Miles said and laughed.
“He’s old.”
Miles opened his mouth to speak again but Michelle placed her fingers against his lips, silencing him then she smiled as she pressed her lips against his, initiating what felt like endless bliss.
Finally, they stopped and pulled apart, smiling at each other. “Well, Max has put the school on a bit of a break so a movie this weekend?”
“Definitely,” Michelle answered. “Try not to come bruised or beaten like the superhero type usually do.”
“Trust me, I won’t.”