Chapter 26

"The suit's a bit tight, Dil," Miles said over the communication system which provided direct feedback between him and Connors's systems back at the house.

"Is it supposed to be baggy?" Dil asked.

"No but it's too tight. I'm surprised I can breathe so comfortably in this," Miles said and stared at his hands with his custom red HUD.

"What do I need web shooters for though?" Miles asked.

"To shoot webs," Dil and Connors said at the same time.

"I thought the webs were supposed to be organic," Miles said. "You know, straight from my wrists?"

"That's disgusting," Dil said and made barfing sounds over the comms.

"Morales, do you see anything?" Connors asked. "Anything remotely suspicious. We need to be certain that we're at the right place."

"Just a lot of armed guards patrolling every corner of the ship. But don't worry, we're at the right place."

"How do you know that?" Connors asked.

"Well, where else would Shockwave hit? This is all the technology he's been stealing throughout his criminal career and more, calling out to him. He'll take the bait."

"Be careful. If Till hits this ship with him, both you and Sam have to retreat," Connors said.

"Alright, alright," Miles said and sighed. "Sam, touchdown."

Sam nodded and let go of Miles who glided to the ship and landed gently on top of a crate. Sam flew to him and landed gently beside him.

"Where'd you get the suit?" Miles asked. "It's nicely crafted."

"It's traditional Nova Corps military armor. My direct connection to the Worldmind allowed me to craft this using my own energy. It's an extension of my power."

"Forget I asked," Miles said but he still couldn't help but admire Sam's blue and gold armor which had glowing gold plates on his chest. His helmet was gold with a slight red design and it also glowed.

"Your suit's cool too though," Sam said. "Spider emblem's a nice touch."

"For real? I look like an evil clone of Spider-Man in this suit. Red and black. But the tech in it is awesome though."

There was an earsplitting sound followed by the sound of rifles and machine guns going off. "These OsCorp guards are using traditional weapons?"

"It's harder to stop bullets compared to energy beams. They mean business here today," Sam said. "Let's move!"

"Be careful!" Dil said over the comms. "Don't ruin the new suit."

"Thanks for caring so much about my well-being, Dil. It means so much to me that you can be so compassionate in these situations," Miles muttered and leapt off the crate and flipped multiple times in the air before landing gently on the ground.

"Show-off," Sam said and he rose into the air, with blue energy forming an aura around him.

"You're one to talk," Miles said and was immediately hit by a blast of energy. He groaned and tried to shake the ringing sound in his ears off.

When the sound stopped and his vision became less blurred, he saw a group of hooded people holding dangerous-looking plasma guns spreading out across the ship.

"Looks like Shockwave has goons working for him," Miles said and climbed up onto his feet, supporting himself with a crate.

One of the hooded thugs pointed a gun at him but Miles fired a string of web at the gun and yanked it away. "Webshooter's a nice touch," he complimented. He charged at the thug and knocked him right off his feet with one swiftly delivered blow.

Sam flew high above the ship, firing blasts of energy at the thugs while Miles moved as fast as he could, punching all the thugs out of his path while avoiding their plasma blasts at the same time. The few times he got hit, the suit went a long way in absorbing the damage.

Finally, Miles slid to a halt once he found Shockwave and tensed his shoulders, preparing for combat. "Kid," Shockwave said and swung around to face him. "I let you live the last time. Looks like I did myself a favor too."

"What are you talking about?" Miles asked.

"The Grandmaster. I don't know who he is and I've never seen his face. What I do know about him is he's the most powerful superhuman who's ever lived. I don't know how he got his powers or how long he's had them but he's stronger than you and I put together."

"Why are you telling me this?" Miles asked.

"Because I already told you, I have a code. And I've reached the point where there's too much brutality than I'm comfortable with. I need your help. To stop the Grandmaster."

"Tell me his plan."

"It's simple, really. Acquire as much technology as he can and use it to arm an army with which he'll conquer as much of the world as possible. He needed Smythe to design the robots and improve the technical aspects of his plan. Till created a serum that he'll use to create his army. And me, I'm supposed to take as much tech as I can from here and he'll use the tech to arm the army."

"So you're experiencing a sudden change of heart?"

"Not exactly. I can't just turn on the Grandmaster, he's strong enough to kill me without moving a muscle. He'll find me no matter how far or fast I run. My proposition is this: Make it look good and believable."

"What?" Miles asked but he felt a spiky tingling sensation and jumped high into the air in time to avoid a plasma blast. Shockwave side-stepped and the blast missed him. It was from one of his goons.

Miles landed on the ship but was immediately hit by a blast from Shockwave. "And I thought you were joining the heroic side!" he groaned as he got up.

"Till's here," Shockwave muttered. "He'll kill us both if he senses that my loyalty is wavering. So I'm going to need you to make this little brawl look good and believable. But you can't let me deliver all this tech to Grandmaster. You and your flying candle friend have to destroy most of it."

"That's dangerous, we could destroy the entire ship with the people on it," Miles replied.

"And the city lives. Your choice."

Miles kicked Shockwave backwards and scrambled up onto his feet and delivered a series of punches with quick succession before firing a string of web at him and using it to fling him off the ship.

Miles sighed and hoped he hadn't overdone with that last attack but he was soon reassured as Shockwave landed onto the ship, dripping wet.

"That's what I'm talking about," Shockwave said.

"What's the hold up here?" a deep, booming voice asked and someone huge and muscular landed on the wooden floor, right in front of Miles.

"Till, I have this handled. Work on moving the tech we need."

"Spider-Man's involved in this now?"

"TILL!" Shockwave growled. "Move the tech. That's the plan. Stick to it and stop being a compromising son of a bitch."

"I smell your fear, Daniel," Till said. "You're wise to fear me."

"And you're unwise to speak to me that way," Shockwave said coldly. "Move the tech!"

"Don't give me orders."

"Your only purpose in life is to serve, Till. And I am the one overseeing this operation and therefore you serve me. Move the darn tech now."

Till grunted and charged towards Shockwave at an amazing speed that Miles's brain couldn't calculate or plan the right move so instinct kicked in. He jumped forward at the precise moment, acting as a shield for Shockwave and Till collided into him instead.

This sent him hurtling backwards and off the ship, plummeting down into the freezing blue water.