10

"How are gonna tell me not to freak out?"_____________________________________

_____________________________________

Mackenzie POV

"Hey Mack, can you check on my plant?" Val asked as she was mixing her serum.

"Sure thing," I said, walking over to Val's planet. Val was competing in this event called 'Mars Madness'.

Mars Madness is a national competition sponsored by a space exploration company, whose goal is to colonize Mars. The winner gets to spend a year in a bio-dome with the same conditions as Mars. If you do well, you could one day be among the first humans to live on Mars.

I've never chosen to compete in Mars Madness because I'm sorta claustrophobic. I've learned that from one time when I was locked in a closet with Val for a night. Don't ask why, let me just say that I ended up with both of my knuckles bruised.

Instead of participating in the event, I always help out Val with anything that she needs for her project. As soon as I was done checking her plant, I walked back over to see Parker and Val talking.

"Hi Parker," I smiled.

"Hey Mack, come check this out," Parker said, motioning me over to where he and Val were. I stood next to Val and looked at his plant in a beaker.

"I'm creating a plant that can survive on a mars colony. I took the genes of a nutrient-dense avocado and spliced them with the genes of a cactus for its ability to thrive with a little water. I call it, the Cacti-cado!" Parker exclaimed, motioning at his plant.

"Well, I made a serum with the DNA of a Venus flytrap, it'll make the plant so aggressive they'll fight to survive anywhere!" Val explained, proudly.

"It's kind of cool, but does it have a catchy name like Cacti-cado?" Parker asked.

"Mack?" Val says, motioning towards me.

"We call it, the Apex Predator Agricultural Death Swarm!" I smirked, mimicking Parker.

"But you're right, Cacti-cado is super cute," Val smiled, poking Parker's cheek. He slapped her hand away and glared at her. He then walked over to the thermostat.

"My Cacti-cado need to spend a weekend at the same temperature as the Mars bio-dome, exactly 24°C," Parker explains, punching in 24°C into the thermostat.

"Well, my serum needs to be at 22°C," Val said, changing the temperature on the thermostat.

"Well, since your project needs all the breaks it can get to catch up to my Genius, 22° it is. May the best brain win," Parker says, slightly smirking.

"It's me," Parker coughs, causing me to playfully roll my eyes. Val and I exited the classroom but only to notice that Parker wasn't behind us.

"Parker?" I called out.