III

they asked him, "how's your life?"

he smiled and answered,

"she's fine."

Lenora paced the wooden floors of her home, glancing up the staircase every once in a while to make sure Rose hadn't woken up

It was the morning after she'd sent her up to her room after seeing the crown painting, and yesterday evening she hadn't come down for dinner. Lenora was getting worried.

Suddenly Lenora heard a door open and watched as Rose stepped out of her room, still in her pajamas. Rose stepped down the stairs quietly, stopped in front of her mother and played with her hands.

"Did...Did I upset you yesterday, Mom?" Rose's sweet voice asked.

Lenora pulled her daughter in for a hug. "Of course not, I was just a little tired that's all." Lenora didn't want her daughter to know what the crown meant, but she also didn't know how to protect her.

Rose sighed at her mother's response and snuggled further into her embrace.

"Come on, you need to eat something, it's almost lunch," her mother chided and Rose couldn't help but giggle at her.

"Okay, okay. Can we have homemade pizza?" Rose asked with a childish glimmer in her eye. Homemade pizza was something her and her mother did together, it was sort of tradition for them.

"Of course, sweetie." Rose giggled and rushed to the kitchen while Lenora sighed at her daughter, scared of what the future held.

She pondered for a couple minutes before finding her daughter in the kitchen with all the ingredients spread out, setting the oven to a certain temperature. Rose turned to face her mother and giggled while clapping her hands together. "Okay! Let's get started!"

The next several minutes were filled with mixing, cooking, and laughing. Every once in a while Rose would throw a pepperoni or some cheese at her mother who would just send her a playful glare in return. Soon enough they'd both set the pizzas in the oven and were waiting.