XII

every man has his secret sorrowswhich the world knows not;and often times we call a man coldwhen he is only sad

which the world knows not;
and often times we call a man cold
when he is only sad

every man has his secret sorrowswhich the world knows not;and often times we call a man coldwhen he is only sad

Roman was quiet as he stared at Rose.

"You're back," she whispered, her shoulders shrugging lightly as if she didn't know what to say.

He nodded but mulled over her words. Why did she say it like he'd gone on vacation? Like he chose to stay away from her? Like he didn't want to be near her?

She moved away from him and he tried to close the distance but a sharp pain exploded all over his body. He groaned.

"Are you okay?" Rose said, her voice laced with concern. He didn't miss how she didn't immediately try to comfort him like she did Fenris.

Mate likes me better, Fenris spoke jokingly in his head.

Roman said nothing because he feared Fenris was right.

"I'm...I'm fine. Fenris must've took a lot out of me when he fought for control," Roman explained. "Stupid wolf."

Rose frowned. "He only wanted to stay with me."

Roman looked at the floor so she wouldn't see the sadness in his eyes.

So she does like Fenris more than me, he thought.

"He managed to hurt the both him and me while doing so. He knows he can't stay in control for longer than the full moon phase," Roman sighed, running a hand through his hair. "He's gladly given it up every time before. I guess since we have you it's different..." He mumbled.

Rose's frown deepened as she took another step back.

He's making it sound as if it's my fault, she thought. I never asked Fenris to do that, and now seeing him in such pain I never will.