XIV

She reminds him of every good day he's ever had

She reminds him of every good day he's ever had. Every summer spent in fields of grass. Every sunrise. Every sunset. She tastes like dew and smells like light. And when she speaks, it's like someone slowly plucking the strings of a guitar, a sadly beautiful song starting to play, all his own.

And he loves her. 

Rose laughed as Roman recalled an embarrassing moment from his past

"You didn't even say anything?" Rose questioned, a grin on her face and giggles escaping in between words.

"Well what was I supposed to say?" Roman shot back jokingly, a grin on his face too. He was glad their date was going so well. He was afraid it would be awkward.

"I don't know - anything!" Rose responded, still smiling.

Roman shook his head and laughed, looking down. They'd finished their food a long time ago but neither seemed to want to leave the little diner. Neither wanted to check the time and realize they probably had to go home, either.

Rose took a sip of her water and stared outside the window of the little diner. She could tell the clouds were getting darker and that it would rain soon. Another smile lit up her face.

"Look, it's gonna rain again," Rose whispered, catching the attention of Roman. He too looked outside for a second before nodding and looking back to Rose, who was still beguiled at the dark clouds.

He leaned forward, placing his elbows on the table. "I've never met someone who likes rain as much as you do."

Rose shrugged, swirling her straw in her cup. "I've loved the rain for as long as I can remember. I think most people see it as a bad thing - that their clothes will get wet or it'll flood. But there's good to it too. It waters the plants and I think in some way, makes the world new again. A fresh start." Rose's voice got quieter as she carried on but a hint of a smile still played on her lips. She truly loved rain.

Roman hung on to every word that came out of her mouth, fascinated by her voice and tone and emotion that she conveyed in every sentence. He never knew that he'd like rain so much too. Or at least, when Rose talked about rain.