IV

chaos is an angel

chaos is an angel

who fell in love with a demon

~christopher pointdexter

Rose didn't understand what was going on

For the past five days, her parents had been spoiling her to the point she felt suffocated. She'd gotten no alone time to herself. Every second was spent shopping with her mom, going to the park with her dad, or some other activity that involved both of them.

Lenora showered Rose with gifts. A new designer dress here, a diamond necklace there. She seemed to be pouring her life savings on her. Rose was innocent, not stupid.

And John. John had stopped working completely just to spend time with her. Everyday was a new event. One day it was the zoo, the next an amusement park, then the movies, etc. If Rose was being honest with herself, she was getting a little irritated.

Thursday night was when they broke the news to her.

They were all sitting at the dinner table, eating lasagna — one of Rose's favorites — and it was uncomfortably quiet. The only sound was the clinking of utensils against plates and the soft hum of their ceiling fan.

About halfway through, Lenora and John shared equally somber looks. They silently nodded to each other and looked to Rose.

"Sweetie, your mother and I need to tell you something," John said, his voice tight.

Rose didn't miss his tone as she swallowed her food and looked at him bewildered.

Lenora took a deep breath, scooting her plate that was still full of food away from her. She seemed to have lost her appetite.

"You're going to be living with Roman from now on," Lenora sighed out. She inspected her napkin, too afraid to look at her daughter.

Rose was silent for several seconds. She opened her mouth to ask a question then shut it again. She didn't know what to say.