IX

she found the colors to paint him

where the world had left him grey

~atticus

Rose woke up surrounded by warmth and a heavy weight on her waist

Rose woke up surrounded by warmth and a heavy weight on her waist. She looked down to see it was Fenris' arm and breathed a sigh of relief. She'd momentarily forgotten last night's events.

She slowly turned so that she was now facing his sleeping figure. His arm tightened around her and pulled her closer, so close if she moved they'd brush noses.

Instead of panicking at their closeness, Rose sighed. She didn't mind being this close to him when he was asleep. He was less scary for sure.

In his sleep, Fenris looked exactly like what she thought Roman would. He looked peaceful, serene, content. His eyebrows weren't furrowed and there was no crease on his forehead. Now that she noticed it, those seemed to always be present on Roman's face when she was around.

Am I the cause of his worry and stress? She wondered.

The thought saddened her, and suddenly she felt like she had no right to be in his arms. Like she wasn't good enough.

Rose tried to wriggle out of his hold but it only tightened as he released a whimper. Rose's heart clenched but she grabbed the pillow she'd used through the night and shifted quickly so the pillow was now in place of her.

Fenris didn't wake up and snuggled further into the pillow. Rose allowed a smile to grace her features at his cute actions.

She left the room reluctantly, and headed downstairs to the kitchen. She observed the stainless steel appliances and stocked cabinets and decided to make them breakfast.

She pulled out eggs, bacon, and sausage from the fridge. Then she found waffle mix and syrup in the cupboards. She also pulled out multiple pans and set them on the already hot stove.

Halfway through cooking, the walls shook with a defeaning roar. Rose jumped slightly which caused hot grease from the bacon she was cooking to spill onto her hand. She hissed in pain and immediately let go of the pan and turned off the stove, careful not to let any of the food burn.