Training Day

The next morning, Isabella groggily pulled herself out of bed, thrust herself into the shower, and changed to go find her grandmother, who'd arrived after eleven o'clock last night, but was already likely downstairs in her office working without an inch of fatigue to show for it.

At 9:30, Isabella passed through the lobby and headed for the executive offices.

"Nano," Isabella started then stopped when she entered her grandmother's office to find it set up for breakfast, complete with two wait staff and three guests. "Nano, Theophilus, Uncle Robert, Ms. Silver." What was she doing there?

"We were just enjoying a welcome home breakfast for your grandmother," said Theophilus. "Why don't you join us, my dear? Though we're nearly finished, I'm afraid."

"No, I just wanted to talk. I thought you might be here with grandmother, Theophilus, and I – It can wait."

Turning her attention to Serena, Isabella politely addressed the guest her grandmother invited to brunch who was quickly becoming a thorn in her side. "I trust you enjoyed your accommodations, Ms. Silver?"

Serena brushed away an invisible crumb from her short sleeved white sweater and brown pants as she leaned back in her chair. "Oh yes, your grandmother has been the most unbelievable of hosts. Why she even called Rolf, that wonderful concierge of yours, from the airport to make sure I had champagne sent to my room last night after our delicious dinner."

Isabella glanced at Nano who was busying herself with paperwork on her desk and then at Theophilus who was perched on the edge of his chair hanging onto the author's every word like a reporter in a courtroom. Why were they so enamored with this woman? Couldn't they see what she was up to and that it could be catastrophic for them all? Nano didn't like her. At least, she'd always said she didn't. Isabella forced a small smile. "Wonderful."

"Now then," Nano addressed Serena as Isabella sat down at the place setting, leaving the food untouched. "What can I do to assist you during your stay?"

"Well, I hadn't even considered where to start," Serena commented, taken aback by the offer from the older woman. Much to Isabella's chagrin, Serena reached into her purse and withdrew the recorder from the evening prior. Lying Isabella's bone of contention next to her white linen napkin, Serena offered tentatively, "Perhaps I could start with an interview with you and Mr. Dodge."

"Theophilus, my dear. Everyone calls me, Theophilus. Unless, you're Catherine or Robert here. They like to call me Theo. Take your pick. Whatever suits your fancy."

Isabella rolled her eyes. Theophilus was just being Theophilus, but this whole situation was getting old fast. She needed to speak with them alone. "I don't think that's a good idea—"

"Of course," Nano concurred at the same time Isabella spoke her disapproval. Nano glanced in Isabella's direction, her brow drawn into a displeasing furrow, an expression that Isabella readily recognized.

"Isabella?" Nano asked in the cautious tone that warned Isabella that she was not to be contradicted.

Isabella stumbled to rectify the situation that had earned her the full attention of Theophilus, Robert and Nano, as well as a curious Serena.

"I only was going to suggest, Nano, rather than a dry interrogation full of questions and answers, maybe Serena would like a tour from you, Robert and Theophilus." When she saw her grandmother's expression soften she added quickly, "If you started with the newly renovated gift shop and ended in the gardens, I think that would be a delight for Ms. Silver, especially with the lilies in bloom right now."