Joseph Gaut

Isabella ran straight for the wall, hands up, ready to blast as much energy she could call forth right at it if she had to. Seconds before she reached the surface, she used her powers to force a hole in the wall. It didn't work, but she kept running. She tried again. Nothing happened. She kept running, hands out. "Fine! I'll push you down!"

"Izzy, no!" she heard Cleo shout from behind her, but she didn't stop. She was going to get Lana out of this trance that she was in.

As Isabella's came in contact with the wall, she felt it liquify and pull her right through. When she was on the other side, she was thrust forward into the strange world where Lana and Evie continued relaxing and enjoying what looked like a beautiful day. But as she tried to convince them to leave with her, everything dissolved. She had been tricked yet again! This place was infuriating!

"I'm so sorry," Cleo said as Nate cursed under his breath as they rushed toward Isabella and the forest returned to violet.

"I felt them here!" Isabella cried. Before she could think of what the heck she was going to do now, an unseen tug around her waist Isabella screaming, trying to pull her further into the forest. Nate and Cleo grab her in time and all three used their energies to cut the grasp of whatever was trying to drag Isabella deeper into the woods.

Then Isabella heard a new voice, soft but kind.

"Lana and Evie are with Gaut. Follow me, come save them," the voice said.

Isabella clutched her necklace to help her connect with the voice and ran after it. Anywhere it led, she followed. Cleo and Nate called for her to slow down, but she was focused on saving their friends.

Eventually, she came to a clearing and found Lana and Evie on the ground passed out. Hoping they were still alive, she rushed toward them. It was them this time. It was really them. She could feel it vibrating off her skin, thumping in her heart. Unfortunately, when she was less than a foot away from their unconscious bodies, an invisible fist grabbed her throat and shoved her in the air. She fought for air, her feet dangled from the ground. Seth. Help. She could feel his urgency from who knew where. Panicked, she gasped for breath, trying to pull out any power she had within her to escape. Nothing was working. Her eyes shifted to Cleo and Nate who were fighting to get close to the beast but they didn't seem to be able to get through. The grip loosened on her, and she pressed her eyes together. The creature was a man. She could feel it in her pores. She summoned heat, as much heat as she could without killing herself into her body to sting the attacker's heavy fist into dropping her to the floor.

"Ahh!" She heard him cry.

"You're a man," she coughed out.

"And you will die, Diadem girl," the voice growled, locking its fist around her neck tighter than it had before. Seth. Where are you?

***

Seth, Micah and Xander followed Neeta down several steps to what looked like a subway tunnel but instead of a train platform they found themselves in a room made of cinder blocks.

"What gives?" Seth barked.

"Hold your horses," said Neeta, holding up her wrist and punching a code into the black device senior members of the Midnight Brotherhood wore like watches. In less than a second, a blue light cut an oval portal into the far wall.

"Where's that take us?" Micah wanted to know. Seth was glad his younger brother had grown a thicker skin since last year. He seemed to be taking everything in stride. Good. He needed to be able to rely on him.

"To Isabella," Neeta explained.

Perfect. Seth moved forward without waiting for further instruction.