Schism

Seth stood in one of the Landrys' four bathrooms staring at his reflection. He could feel Isabella's anxiety gnawing at the pit of his stomach from all the way down the hall where she was freshening up. He splashed water on his face then picked up a clean towel and scrubbed it clean. He couldn't believe she'd actually wanted to go to the forest alone. One second, she was a girl with general sense of logic, and the next she ready to run straight into a suicide mission. Of course, this was getting to be a usual dance with her. But he'd never get used to it. He cared about her deeply regardless of the multiple ulcers she signed up to give him. No matter what, he couldn't abandon her and by that extension, Colin.

Seth sighed and sat on top of the toilet lid, folding his hands out in front of him. No way was Colin a murderer. The witch-hunters at Empath Hall were looking for a scapegoat or to take down The Midnight Brotherhood like the Landry's suggested. He was willing to make whomever he had to convince realize it even if he had to testify and hopefully not blow everything to hell. Being the dolt who failed to free Colin wasn't on his to do list.

Now, they needed to decide who was going to the forest with Isabella. He wanted it to be both Elias and Nate. Elias had the brains, and Nate the brawn. That would make him feel a bit better. Gah, he wanted it to be him. Not only was that adventure more in his wheelhouse than some stuffy courtroom, he needed to be near Isabella to stay calm. He curled his hand into a fist and bit down on the inside of his cheek, willing himself to relax. His shields fully up so Isabella could not tap into them. It wasn't just the guardian thing like she seemed to think. He could tell the difference between his emotions and the pull his gut gave him when it came to the guardian instinct. One was in a place of sort of tactical logic and duty, the other was the heart and emotion. But they were far from ready for too much too soon. There was so much at stake. He didn't want to complicate anything unless it came naturally. Who was he fooling? She didn't want him that way anyway. At least, she'd convinced herself that she didn't. Girls. Seth stood up. He had to be okay with this. Someone had to collect Lana and Evie before they died from exposure or got hurt. The reason they wandered off instead of staying put had better be a good one.

Seth exited the bathroom. He was on the second-floor. Pictures lined the wall of the Landry's family. The two brothers Elias and Nate growing up for years without their parents, then Julian added when he was about ten. People seemed to lose their families a lot down there. He didn't know what he'd do if he'd lost his mother and father. Seth looked over the railing when he got to the staircase. Xander and Micah sat talking to the Landry's. The girls were probably still in the bathroom, plotting, planning, psyching themselves up before they had to get back out there. It was time. He had to admit he was worried.

There was the grand evidence that he'd have to present. How do you introduce a magical mirror into evidence? He reminded himself that this was The Violet City and not Los Angeles, where he lived now, or New York, where he'd been born. But even in a world of magic, the idea sounded preposterous. Hopefully, he wouldn't be laughed out of the courtroom or taken to be mentally evaluated---or worse, fail Isabella. He needed to check on the evidence when she came back down. In the meantime, he decided to get some air. He walked passed everyone to stand on the Landry's porch. He wondered what time the sky would start to grow dark. He knew they couldn't leave Lana and Evie out there in the dark, but he really hated this idea of Isabella heading out the forest the more he thought about. About ten minutes later, he heard the girls coming down steps chattering.

He slipped t back inside. "Isabella, is it okay if I check on the mirror? I just want to make sure that it's working. So, you know, there're no issues once I start to testify," he said.

Isabella laughed, the sound was music to his ears. Her eyes thankfully weren't red from crying earlier. But until now a semi scowl had been stuck on her face. "Sure, let's ease your fears."

Micah snickered, watching their exchange beside a smirking Cleo several feet away. Seth wondered how funny his brother would think a well-deserved noogie in front the girl he had a big crush on was watching. He was sure he'd love that. Seth shot a hot glare at Micah's expression immediately sobered. Easy to make fun when you weren't holding the key to someone's freedom. No one would be laughing if Colin got convicted. A travesty of justice like that would leave its mark on all of them. Forever.

Isabella gave Seth the mirror. "Now hurry up because we are soon getting out of here."

Seth looked into the mirror and waited. Last time ripples appeared as he stared and then images. But nothing was happening. It was as if the purplish surface worked like any other mirror. That had to be bad news, besides he wasn't looking to primp himself up for a date. "Isabella, it isn't working. I think we maybe it was a one-time deal," he called her.

Isabella darted over and grabbed it. Her brow wrinkled into a heavy concentrated look. But still nothing happened. Cleo walked up and took the mirror. Pulling out a few items from a bag, she squirted each over the mirror. One made it ripple for a moment and flash a few images, then nothing. "It's as I suspected. This item has limited use, it's on its last leg even with an energy crystal."

"So, we might as well all go together to the forest," Seth suggested, "without the mirror I'm of hardly any use, and we can hurry back in time for the trial. We have to find Lana and Evie. Colin's important too but without the mirror what evidence do we have?"

"You still have to try Seth!" Isabella pressed, "I can't fail Colin. You'll be able to tell them what we saw."

"He'll need a time witch or a fair folk verification without that mirror working," Elias said.

Isabella sighed deeply, keeping her eyes trained on Seth. "Please Seth don't back out. I know this isn't your thing, and I know it might seem impossible, but I need you to do this and save my brother."

"Cleo and I will go with her," Nate came up with Cleo close behind. He was a big rugged man who looked ready to tangle with anything bad that forest threw at them. "I know you care about her and I'll keep her safe."

"Don't forget me," Cleo piped up. "Trust us, Seth, Isabella is in great hands. I'll personally ensure that she doesn't try running off alone to save the world. We'll keep her hero complex in check."

"I don't have a hero complex," Isabella huffed. "There's nothing wrong with helping others."

"I can help get Seth on the witness list," said Elias.

"But I think you should go with them," said Seth.

"You don't trust me?" the hulking Nate asked, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

"Strength in numbers," said Seth.

"You need someone to get you on the witness list and figure out the red tape for you," said Isabella. Seth knew this, but it didn't mean he had to be rational about it.

"Precisely," Elias said, "is anyone else coming along for support?"

"I am," Xander volunteered, "and Micah too. We want to be there for Colin."

"You're not going with Cleo?" Seth asked a beet red Micah.

"He's better helping you out," Cleo supplied for him. "Your parents will be less suspicious if both of you are there. You can tell mine that I'm with Isabella at the hotel or something. It'd make more sense." It didn't to Seth, but he was in no mood to argue with Cleo.

That kid Julian looked like he just wanted everybody to leave. Seth couldn't blame him. "I'll hold down the fort here 'til you two get back," the boy said.

"Well, I guess that's settled," Elias nodded. Seth liked Elias enough. He seemed trustworthy. Nate, though he was strong, Seth couldn't get a read on how noble he was. Seth held back the sudden urge to leave him with a threat as Elias went on, "I forgot there's one more thing you folks might need. He headed off to another room and returned with a bag. "In here are devices that you can use to communicate in the underground. I'm guessing you don't have these with you."

"No, we don't." Seth took the bag and started handing out devices. "Thanks, dudes!" So far so good. They'd just better keep her...and their friends safe. Seth shared a smile with Isabella. Everything was going to be all right even if they weren't together for this part of it. He had to believe that.