Fairy Tales Can Come True

When Isabella stepped into the Velvet Ballroom, her heart clenched. It looked so much like it did in her own time but held the wonders of lost elegance like a invisible glove.

"Iz?"

She turned to see Seth, standing on the other side of the door, looking as handsome as ever in his borrowed tux. He held out his hand for her, and without pause, she accepted.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, it's just... I feel badly about what's about to happen here tonight."

"I know. Me too."

Posy immediately inched close to Seth, but he kept a hand entwined with Isabella's. After the separation neither seemed to want to lose sight of each other. Tonight was not just about mingling and having fun in the 50's. There was a mystery to solve and a killer to unveil. Sobering facts that reminded them just how much was at stake at the glittering event.

"I'm so excited to be here," Dena gushed. "But it's small potatoes compared to this. With studio contracts going out of the window, we have to look good for producers now more than ever. It's all about being seen."

"Don't worry. After this, we're going to be famous," Posy gushed. "Or infamous according to my mama. She's such a worry wart. Bad things happen everywhere, not just with the rich and fabulous."

"Your mother's a smart woman," said Isabella. "Rich or not, you should always be careful who you trust."

"Tell your lady to not be a spoil sport Mr. Warmaker," Dena nudged him playfully.

Lance Lindstrom's party was definitely high-end exclusive. From the scenery to the people milling about. Everyone either had money or fame on their side if not both. It looked like the Hollywood version of a Gatsby party but 1950s style. Grand, glamorous and way too much going one for anyone to keep up. You just went with the flow and enjoyed yourself. There's no question that no expense was spared to ensure this was the party to be at.

Isabella's great-grandparents swept into the room. Renee in pearls and a sleek dress and Sinclair in a debonair looking tuxedo with burgundy lapels. They looked amazing. Isabella wanted to talk to them, but she knew she couldn't. She shook her head. She had to stay focused. Who knew what horrible things could happened if she made contact. No, they just needed to mingle at the party and maintain focus. Thankfully they had the starlets there to confirm their investment story with anyone who stopped to chat. Lance passed by but thankfully he just waved and didn't stop to ask the pair any questions.

"Care to dance?" Seth asked Isabella.

Isabella cleared her throat and looked up at him. He wore a tiny smirk and held out his hand to her for the second time that evening. "Sure. It'll be a good cover," she said, noting the bit of hurt flash across his face at her words. Seconds later, they were entwined on the dance floor. Young at Heart by Frank Sinatra filled the room as they turned about the room enveloped in the melodic lyrics. She dropped her head to his shoulder and both heard and felt his sigh as his chest rose and fell. Every second had her in heaven. She looked up at him, her cheeks warming. His pinked a bit, too. Yes, this was just a mission. But anything that got him to dance with her was worth every second.

As the song fell into the next, Isabella noticed Beatrice cutting across the dance floor. Isabella's gut told her that she needed to stick close. Yet she couldn't be seen as anti-social. Which meant doing something that made her insides clench. "Distract our new friends for me please, dance...with Posy."

Seth raised an eyebrow but didn't argue. Apparently, he trusted her judgment. Either that or he really wanted to dance with Posy. She didn't believe that though. Not after the way he was holding her just a minute ago. She followed close behind him as he approached the girls. She realized something deep in her gut. These were the starlets that were going to die in the fire the night of Beatrice's death. They were the ones Serena was investigating. Of course. She couldn't interfere. That made her sick to her stomach. She had to focus. They were here only to find out who Serena's killer was, and that was all.