Voices

Isabella flicked her tears away with angry thumbs as she stomped down the hallway to her room. Stupid Seth¸ she thought bitterly, a lot of help you'll ever be. But he does help. He has helped before. No. Forget it.

Isabella resolved to figure out a solution herself, maybe the Empath Book could give her some more guidance. By the time she reached her door, she felt a bit better, partially from deciding once again she didn't need Seth Logan but also because she might find a better way of getting Serena to talk.

Deep in thought, she entered her room distracted, letting out a shriek when she caught sight of someone – scratch that, two someones, sitting on her bed. Her heart hammered away in her chest, relief flooding her once she recognized Lana and Evie.

"What are you doing here?" Isabella asked, weary and just wanting to hide.

"Girl's night, remember?" Lana responded, concerned at Isabella's appearance. "Your grandmother told Elyse to let us in if you didn't show up by the time Evie arrived."

"I thought you'd be too scared to come back up here alone," Isabella said, not elaborating further with Evie in the room.

"Well, I was with a civilian not a...you know, heiress, so I figured I'd be safe," said Lana. Her best friend was a lot braver than she gave her credit for.

Quickly changing topics, Lana pressed, "Did you find Seth?"

Isabella went to her dresser and proceeded to fix her ponytail, smoothing down the stray hairs that had fallen loose. The nonchalant gesture bought her a moment before replying, "Nope, nowhere to be found."

"Oh."

If Lana believed her, Isabella would be surprised, but her best friend decided not to press. Turning, she noticed that Evie and Lana were flipping through Evie's phone.

"What are you guys looking at?"

"Um, guys, of course," said Evie with a little shrug of her shoulder.

"Right."

Lana sighed. "Tonight is supposed to be fun, Izzy."

"Sure. I guess I should ask Cleo if she can come up. Micah will blab to her about tonight anyway," Isabella said as real life flooded her senses.

"No! Johnna's with Cleo. I saw them in the lobby."

Isabella groaned. "Oh, no way then."

"Her parents were there, too. Her mother was talking to your grandmother, and her father was pacing back and forth with Cleo and Xander's dad as if something had upset him."

"Probably something Xander did," said Isabella.

"Yeah, maybe," Lana said, not sounding convinced. "But Xander hasn't gotten in trouble since you guys came back from all the crazy. It's like he's matured." Lana looked down. "Well, I mean, you all have."

That was true. Where Lana still hadn't gotten fully over her childhood animosity for Cleo, she seemed to have forgiven Xander. Isabella didn't take the time to ponder that any further as she noticed Lana shifting.

"There's more isn't there?"

Lana sighed with a nod. "I stayed to spy for a bit –"

Isabella opened her mouth to ask Lana if she'd been discreet, but Lana cut her off. "Yes, your grandmother spotted me."

Isabella opened her mouth again to ask a follow up question, but Lana cut her off again. "I told her I was waiting for Evie."

"Okay. Okay. What else?" Isabella looked over at Evie who now had the TV on and was flipping through the stations, chin in hand, clearly bored at whatever Isabella and Lana were talking about.