The Forest of Violet

As Nate led the way to the Forest of Violet, Cleo trudged along shoulder-to-shoulder with Isabella. They'd just left the boat behind they'd taken down an uncharted canal and were now sloshing down a muddy path that zig-zagged so much that it was making her dizzy. Thankfully, Nate, given that he'd lived his entire life in the Underground, knew how to get to the forest's edge. After that, Isabella would attempt to tune into Lana. It was their best shot. She hated feeling split in two. She was so worried about Colin, but she trusted Seth to help him. Now all she needed to do was trust herself. Her mind flooded with images of Beatrice and the dark side she'd seen the woman she'd compared herself to all her life.  People said she looked so much like her great aunt – but beneath their compliments she always felt a "but not quite" looming. She'd seen Beatrice as put-together, strong, where she felt awkward and foolish. But Beatrice was not the perfection she'd imagined. She wasn't just a real person with flaws. She was a person capable of the darkest destruction at her most vulnerable, and ultimately, that had gotten her killed. What if that was Isabella's fate? What if she was destined to succumb to the darkness inside of her, too? What if the evil that lurked inside took over her goodness, her reason, her ability to do the right thing?

Upon reaching the entrance of the insanely purple forest, both Isabella and Cleo gasped. "This place is even more breathtaking than my entire couture collection. Okay, maybe not more, but really close."

"Yeah, and I thought the city looked violet. As pretty as it is, I hate the idea of Lana and Evie in here alone," Isabella said as she planted her feet onto the misty path before them. The trees had thick dark brown trunks and the stream in the distance shimmered with blue, while the leaves and flowers of everything before remained a shade of violet. She could hardly take her eyes off the trees, grass and critters dashing about. Then he noticed the purple take on a blue hue in the distance. But it happened so fast she wasn't sure if it had been a trick of the eye.

Isabella knew what to do next. They had to get to the end of the path, to that edge of the forest.

Nate spoke, "This road will be about..."

"A quarter mile," Isabella filled in to Nate's shock. She clutched the friendship bracelet Lana made her a while back, which she sometimes carried for luck. She'd been lucky enough to slip it into her pocket before their encounter with the Time Witch. God, that seemed like ages ago. She was grateful because she could now use her abilities to channel her way to Lana's location. Time was not on their side, and she wanted to get back to Colin as soon as possible. Everything was on the line.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" Cleo asked.

"I will be," said Isabella, picking up the pace.  Soon, they were running, and a quarter mile was behind them. Isabella jerked to a stop. "Wait! I feel something."

At first there was nothing, and Isabella focused harder, rolling the bracelet between her fingers.

"Do you want me to help you with anything?" Cleo asked, but she shook her head.

Then Isabella heard Lana calling out for help. A tug told her to turn left. "I have Lana. Let's go."

Isabella and Nate took the lead—Isabella to track Lana and Nate to ensure certain paths weren't crossed. Anywhere too risky had to be walked around the long way, and Nate was invaluable in keeping everyone on the safest path. At least, at first.

"I thought we might've fallen into some kind of trap by now, but we're doing great," Nate said as they walked on.

"Don't jinx us," Cleo admonished.

Whooosh! A roaring wind washed over them, and Isabella had to cover her eyes with the back of her arm. A fiendish growl echoed through the trees. When the wind settled, Isabella dropped her arm to see a shadowy figure in their path made of twigs and leaves. It kept sliding into abstract shapes, confusing Isabella and making her stomach twist. "What are you?" she asked, fighting her discomfort.