Morphling Village

Seth and Xander carried an unconscious but breathing Mimi down the steps of Empath Hall. "We have to get her to a hospital," said Isabella.

"You know they won't treat morphlings," Micah reminded her as he and Cleo followed them.

"Then we take her to her mother," Isabella insisted, looking at Cleo with a plea in her eyes. "You found her. You went to her house, didn't you?"

Cleo nodded. "But it isn't right that they don't treat them here. I didn't think this place was.... How do you know for sure they won't, Micah?"

"Neeta told me during training last week. It came up while we were building my spheres."

Isabella's blood boiled. She'd witnessed some of this hatred when she'd been here with Seth before. But not to treat them if they'd been hurt. She cursed under her breath as she looked at Mimi's ashen face as they continued down the steps. That kind of prejudice was going to have to change. If Isabella ever had any kind of power over this city, she was going to make sure of it.

Mimi coughed wretchedly but did not wake up. They reached the bottom of the stairs.

Isabella wouldn't be able to live with herself if Mimi died because she was helping her. Why did bad things happen to people who associated with her? Now was not the time for a pity party though. There was too much to do and a life now hung in the balance.

"Come on. Xander and I know where they live." Cleo led the way with fast feet. Isabella felt the group subduing its panic. Cleo took them down darkened road after darkened road until they arrived at a very damp part of town filled with about six dozen thatched roof houses within three or four blocks. "This is Morphling Village," she explained to Isabella and Seth. There were electrical wires that were used for functionality and for perching as Isabella recalled that most morphlings like to shift into birds. A few sat flocked several blocks down, but for the most part the small roads were empty.

"It smells awful," Seth remarked, hoisting Mimi in his arms completely as Xander's arms seemed to grow tired, his voice sounding as if he was holding back a gag.

"It's only at the crossroads that it's like this. Mimi's mother has enchantments all-round the house. It smells like a rose garden. Trust me, you know I wouldn't lie about anything like that," said Cleo. She may have been talking about aesthetics and all that, but the look in Cleo's eyes along with the vibrations she was giving off told Isabella she was very determined to save Mimi's life.

"It's going to be okay, Cleo," Isabella said as they trudged down the muddy path toward Mimi's family cottage.

"I found her and got her in this crazy mess."

"Because I asked you to."

"Blame game needs to stop. We just need to make sure she doesn't die," said Seth.

Relief flooded Isabella's body when a small cottage with a red thatched roof came into view. She instinctively knew this was Mimi's home. Her hunch was confirmed when she saw an orange-haired woman who was just about two inches taller than Mimi in a long blue dress running toward them. The lady's cheeks were blazing pink and her eyes round and owlish. "Mimi! Mimi!" the woman cried. "What happened?"

"I'm sorry but Mimi got shot helping us protect people from an attack by the Jack Boots gang!" The woman who was clearly Mimi's mother, rushed to Seth and tried to remove Mimi from his arms.

"My poor baby," Mimi's mother's voice shook, "she knows better than to leave our block after hours. That girl never listens and now I might lose her. Don't just stand there! Hurry up and get her inside so she can have even a slight chance of surviving that wound. She better not die!"