Colin

Colin sat in a transparent cell with two small rectangular windows at the top of the high formation, so he could breathe and a tiny flap where they slid his food tray. He had a small mattress and a tiny tub of water in the corner as well as a place to relieve himself. For Colin, who liked to move through the night, a boy with no home by choice, this was a nightmare. Still, he tried to remain calm. How could anyone really believe that he was capable of murder? Serena was nosy but that wasn't a good reason to kill someone. In fact, he was trying to help her out by urging her to stay out of the Foxworthy business. He had a hunch there was something darker at play. Now, all kinds of rumors were flying including that the empath had wanted to besmirch his family or maybe discovered something that he had to silence her about. Complete fabrications. There was nothing that would make him murder much less do that to a snoop like Serena. He wasn't a murderer plain and simple, and in his line of work that was saying something. Now, his trial had been moved up to tonight. They must have found something for them to want to do that. A very small but powerful group in the upper division of the Council Knights wanted him to be put away for reasons that had zero to do with Serena. They wanted to use the Jack Boots to keep people in check—thugs to do their dirty work when they couldn't. The Light Council, who controlled the Knights' every move, did not abide by this. Instead, they preferred to work with Colin's group, who worked around a code of ethics. Not good enough apparently for some.

"You have a visitor," the warden said. "Come in and be quick about it," the oafish man with a pirate-like goatee snapped at someone and locked the door as soon as the lady entered.

"What a classy guy," Colin snorted clenching his fists when he saw Neeta's beautiful face. Her neat dark hair looked shorter than usual and the little makeup she usually wore was not present. She looked worn and tired but as if she'd been fighting to maintain a semblance of control. The fact that his powers did not work in the Stockade frustrated him. He wanted to slip fear into the guard's mind so he'd know not to bark at a woman like that again. Not that Neeta Tanaka couldn't take care of herself.

"Hitting him won't get you out of here, put that away this instant," Neeta ordered and he obeyed.

"I'd rather give him a mind twist or weave his memory. That'd be great."

"That's why they don't let prisoners' powers work down her. For their own safety."

"Neeta, I need to get out of here." Colin finally let his walls down. With Neeta, he had to let her know this was killing him. He could act all calm and stoic once that jerk warden returned. He slid his hands through the opening where they slid his food tray and reached for her. Neeta threaded her fingers with his. He closed his eyes and let his emotions wash over him. He didn't want to burden her, but he also knew that she was worried he was worse off than he was. Finally, he looked up. "I'm not guilty, I would never kill anyone. Much less an innocent empath. Please tell me that you're doing everything you can to get me out. It sounds like the court has already convicted me."

"No, they have not and don't listen to rumors," Neeta said, squeezing his fingers. "You are innocent Colin and all we have to do is find the evidence to prove it."

"We start in less than two hours, Neeta. Unless you have something up your sleeve. Or my grandmother maybe."

Neeta pulled her hands away. "I don't think they have anything, Colin. Right now, it's just a slew of character witnesses. We're doing our best."

Colin ran a hand over his face. "What about the Brotherhood? Are they holding operations steady?"

"Max has disappeared," Neeta answered with a wary but solemn expression.

"What do you mean, disappeared?"

"He's probably Skyside with his parents. I can't go up there. He chose to remain down here for the year, so if they catch him..."