Worst Day Ever

After they'd strapped into the purple and silver bullet-shaped vehicle and slid from beneath Theophilus's shop, Micah admitted that driving the zip car wasn't as fun as he'd imagined it to be. "Just a whole lotta buttons. Then it does everything for itself."

"Franklin said obtaining a license wasn't possible for a debut," said Isabella, who was nestled in the back with Seth. This car, unlike the one they'd ridden out of the Midnight Brotherhood lair last year only fit three, leaving the driver up front with two passenger seats in the rear.

"Well, number one. We aren't debuts any more. And number, two. Franklin? Really?" snorted Micah as the car whizzed past the shops and pedestrians along the Avenue toward Empath Hall. It appeared to be about midday. The false sky was lavender and its clouds puffy and perfect. The Violet City. She'd missed it. She longed for the day when she could take the time to actually enjoy, no one in danger, no one hurt, no one trying to kill her or anyone she'd loved.

"I hate this," Isabella muttered to herself. Seth reached over and covered her hand with his. Surprised, she looked up to see him looking out of the window. His hand gravitated toward hers naturally, just as it was soothing her from the inside out naturally. In spite of this, she moved to pull it away, but his grip tightened. A small smile found its way to her lips as she allowed herself the comfort.

***

"You two can wait for me outside," Isabella said as they approached the front entrance. "I need someone here to keep an eye out for the others and Mimi."

If his clenched fist and tight jaw were any indication, Seth did not seem to like that idea. Before either of them could say a word, Micah piped up. "I'll stay out here. Seth can go in with you."

"You want to wait out here all by yourself? After what happened the last time we were here?" Isabella asked referring to Jack's attack last year.

Micah, far from the nervous neurotic shy boy from the year before, lifted his chin. The thin boy had grown at least two inches but still looked very much a child compared to his older brother. Still, now that they were in the Underground, he seemed to settle into his skin. It was as if he was finally home – even moreso than the rest of them. "The likelihood of that happening again is very slim," said Micah, eyes firm and confident. He shrugged. "Besides, Jack is banned from the Violet City, which means he'd have to be more powerful than Joseph Gaut to penetrate the shield, and if you know anything about Gaut..."

"Okay, okay," said Isabella before turning to his older brother. "Seth, come on. I'd rather have someone with me, I guess."

"You guess?" he went on, following behind her. He turned back to Micah for a moment. "Meet you right back here, okay?"

"Yeah, Seth. I'm sure you're so much more worried about me than Izzy..." Seth threw him a hard look. "As if that's a secret from anyone."

"I'm the guardian of her cohort."

"Got it," said Micah with a smirk.

***

"What do you mean I can't see him? Colin's my brother, and what you are holding him on is flimsy at best!" Isabella protested to the long-faced official who only looked back with open annoyance. After all that had happened she couldn't believe seeing her brother was yet another obstacle.

"Listen, young lady," the official groused, "you might be a big shot power player-in-training, but you're still a kid. Keep pushing me, and Empath Hall will have another person in lockup. Your brother's a murder suspect, and he was caught with property of the victim on his person."