Trust No One

Elaine and Posy weren't quite ready to get ready for the party yet. Isabella could tell the pair wasn't used to being in a place as nice as The Foxworthy and therefore were just dying to soak up everything they could. The two young women decided they just had to head down to the pool with some friends and invited Isabella and Seth to come along. They decided to go along. They had to keep their new friends happy until the party.

As they neared the pool, three females in big sunglasses and lipstick so red they could see the cherry-apple gleam from several yards away waved frantically. Their two new starlet friends squealed and rushed over to them. Isabella and Seth shared looks. "Come on, Seth," Isabella said. "How bad could it be?"

Isabella ignored his grumble and followed Elaine and Posy.

"Ladies, I'd like you to meet Isabella Fortington, and her date, Seth Warmaker," Posy lifted her chin with a mock sort of haughtiness as Isabella and Seth joined the five women. "They're investors in the movie and so nice and down to earth. A rarity."

"And young, too," noted one of the new women, looking only at Seth, "but certainly handsome."

Seth had the grace to look bashful rather than grin and peacock over the compliment from the voluptuous brunette.

"Meet Dena, Grace and Fran." Elaine pointed to each smiling starlet. "The three of them, along with Posy and I play sisters in the movie. It's a whole thing. You'll see when you see the picture." Dena and Grace were dark haired while Fran, who was the shortest of the bunch, had honey-colored hair.

Isabella smiled, pretending not to know as much as she did about the movie she'd seen more times than she could remember and the fact that she recognized each of them and knew all about the roles they played.

"We like to stick together," said Elaine. "Strength in numbers and all that."

"Of course," Seth said, looking like he was forcing a smile. "Hollywood has a lot of sharks in the water, be vigilant."

"Smart man." Dena, the tallest of the pack, tapped her finger against her chin as her gray eyes sparkled. "Seems Posy has taken a fancy to you Mr. Investor W."

Isabella noticed the deep accent in Dena's voice that hadn't played through on screen when she played her character, but her eyes remained on Posy who'd taken Seth's arm during the course of the conversation.

She reminded herself again that Seth could flirt or chat with anyone he wanted. Still, Posy cozying up to him was getting on her last nerve. Didn't this woman have any decency? As far as she was concerned, Isabella was Seth's date, but she didn't seem to care. Still, she had to grit her teeth and bear it. Offending their 'in' would not be the smartest move.

"How do you keep yourself looking so young." Grace suddenly twisted Isabella around. "I know never to ask a lady for her age. But without that makeup you might look like a teenager." The southern drawl in this one slight but still audible and her hand iron grip.

"Um, she has one of those faces," Seth spoke up for her. Isabella frowned.

"She's so pretty, I can see why Mr. Warmaker would snag her up," Fran spoke in a delicate but high-pitched voice. "If you weren't an investment man's lady, I bet you'd be a starlet, too. In fact, I think with the help of a studio stylist you'd be just as beautiful as Beatrice all dolled up. Maybe better."

Isabella blushed. She never thought herself to be anywhere near as beautiful as Beatrice. "You're just saying that to butter me up," she laughed. It was still a nice compliment.