Life Can Move So Fast

Chapter Eight

May 14th, 1984

Mattel Corp

El Segundo, California

Michael's POV

Today is the big day! We've been back and forth for a few months on how Bianca's doll will look for the initial release and Mattel has promised that they have a prototype for her to take home.

She's very excited as we walk through the doors to her future that's for sure. We check-in at the front desk and are escorted right to the meeting moments later. The secretary knocks twice before opening the door for us. As soon as we're in we see Jennifer Lutz, the woman that came to me with the proposal in the first place.

" Hello, hello. Please come in. " She greets as we walk into the conference room. " It's good to see you two. " 

We take a seat and listen to pretty much the same schpeel we got the last time before Jennifer bring out a little box. The cardboard is a mixture of funky colors and the name Bibi is written in a fancy font. 

" Bibi? " I ask?

" Yes. This is what the overseas consumers will get when they go into the stores. Don't worry it will be Bianca here. "

Bianca shakes her head. " No, keep it Bibi I like that nickname. "    

" Are you sure baby? That's what people will call you from now on. " I tell her seriously. 

She nods. " Uh-huh, I like it. " 

" Very well that's decided. Now, do you want to see the actual doll? " Jennifer asks looking pleased with herself.

Nodding again she says, " yes "! 

Pulling the little dolls out she gasps in surprise. They dressed the doll in the same outfit she wore at Motown 25. A blue princess dress with a soft tutu-like material under the fabric of the skirt. A royal blue bedazzled short sleeve jacket, and black ballet flats. She was very adorable in this outfit so it's a good choice. The hair is exactly to Bianca's, I mean Bibi's( ? ) specifications. The eyes as well. For a doll, she sure looks like my baby. 

" Oh, she's so pretty! " Bianca exclaims as she touches the hair. 

Chuckling I tell her, " she sure is because she looks like you. " 

" We've set the release date for October just in time for the holidays. " Jennifer says please that Bianca is pleased. 

Bianca looks up at me and asks, " what's the holidays daddy? " 

Oh no. " Well baby... Remember the talk we had about other people's cultures? " 

" Yes," She says waiting for me to explain.

" Some people celebrate Kwanza, Hanukkah, or Christmas around your birthday. " 

" What do we celebrate daddy? " She asks so innocently. 

How do I tell her that we not only don't celebrate anything but also condemn it? " We don't baby. I'll explain it better later. " 

Jennifer seeing me so uncomfortable quickly changes the subject. " Let's talk about accessories huh? " 

Whew just in the knick of time! We spend another hour on that before we're on our way back home. Bianca babbles on and on about how much she hopes people will love her doll. The thing is I'm sure they will... 

I just worry that maybe it's not a good thing, I mean Bibi? Why on earth would she want to be known by anything but Bianca? Is this right? I've been struggling with this since I received the offer and I still don't know. But when I see how happy she is... How can I say no?

<>

January 28th, 1985

" Time's up pencil down. " 

I dislike science. It's so easy and boring but at least it's the last subject of the day. I wait patiently while miss Opal grades my quiz. It takes a few minutes but she hands it back with a huge smiley face on it. Daddy is going to put this on the fridge!

" Very good Bianca you're dismissed. " She says while she packs everything up. 

" Thank you miss Opal, see you tomorrow! " I say already halfway out of the room. 

" Hello? Bianca? " Comes daddy's voice.

I get down from the stool and run into the foyer. " Daddy! "

He scoops me up and peppers my face with kisses. " I missed you too, look who I brought with me. " 

" Uncle Li-Li! " Or Lionel Richie but that's what I call him. 

He opens his arms and says, " Bibi! ", excitedly. 

Just like daddy said, once the doll was out that would be all people call me. It's okay because I like it and so does everyone! Jennifer said they're selling like hotcakes... Whatever that means. She even convinced my daddy to release a Thriller doll collection. I have all of the dolls including the zombies. I love making them do the dance moves.

When I pull away I see that there is a boy standing next to him that looks a little older than me. " Bianca I'd like you to meet my friend Corey Feldman. We met on the set of a movie I think you're going to like when it comes out. Corey, this is my daughter Bianca. "

" Hi! " I say excitedly.

He smiles and grabs my hand. " It's nice to meet you, princess. "

My face gets hot and I run into my daddy's legs and hide my face. They all laugh and we go into uncle Quincy's huge studio. There are so many people in here! When I see Stevie Wonder I give him a big hug. And Cyndi Lauper! I try my best to avoid miss Diana but she makes a beeline my way and pinches my cheeks hard. 

" Bianca look at this face! " She says in her weird baby talk that she always uses with me.

I hate that! Daddy pulls her away and hugs her while winking at me. Nice save daddy but where were you twenty seconds ago? Rubbing my cheeks I go over to where Corey is standing. We talk about our favorite music until everyone is ready to start recording.

Daddy said that everyone is here because people in Africa are struggling to survive. He said it's our job to use the platform given to us to help people in need. He, uncle Quincy, and Uncle Li-Li want there to be a big benefit show with lots of different artists all over the world. And all of the money is going to the people in Africa that need it. I even talked to Mattel to set up part of my income from the Bibi dolls to help as well. Daddy said I don't have to but I want to help.

It takes a little while but once everyone has their parts down uncle Quincy says, " okay everyone, you all know how important it is to get this on one take. So let's get this clean and cut. " 

I stay with Cory out of the camera shot as the music starts.

It's so cool that everyone came together to do this. Even cooler that I get to see and hear it before anyone else.