IMAGINE: Bucky having a nightmare

| IMAGINE for @aproudmexican |

You wake up to Bucky thrashing in bed. You sit up, sleep quickly vanishing. Your bedroom is completely dark and noiseless, except for Bucky, your husband, groaning.

"No, no, no, no, no." He cries, his voice cracking. He deals with nightmares a lot lately, thanks to PTSD.

You lean over him. "Hey, hey, Bucky. It's okay." You soothe, lightly touching his bare shoulder. His eyes fly open.

"Get away from me!" He screams, sitting up in bed and grabbing your throat with his metal hand. He slams you against the bed, choking you with his metallic arm. Your eyes widen in surprise and then in horror as you can't breathe. Bucky leans over you, seething. His eyes look so strange. Dazed.

"Bucky...it's...me. Your...wife." You choke out. Your vision starts going into a tunnel and tears burn in your eyes. You're dying. Your own beloved husband, who treats you like an angel, is killing you and he doesn't even know it.

You stare up into Bucky's eyes which look so foreign. "I love you." You crack out with your last breath. He snaps out of it. The look in his eyes are gone. Your husband is back. He releases you with a horrified gasp.

"Bucky." You breathe. He looks down at his metal hand which is shaking and then he looks at you, breathing hard.

"No." He whispers horrified. He stumbles out of bed, backing away from you, shaking his head. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no." He sobs. You rub your throat and try to catch your breath. Bucky falls to his knees, weeping in misery.

"Bucky." You say, crawling out of bed and moving towards him. You kneel beside him and rest a hand on his knee.

"No, no, get away from me!" He exclaims, scooting away from you.

"Bucky, it's okay, it's okay." You murmur. He looks at you, tears burning in his eyes.

"It's not okay! It's not okay! I almost killed you! I almost choked you!" He exclaims. "I'm a monster." He chokes out, his whole body shuddering.

"No, you are not." You insist. You crawl to sit beside him. He doesn't move away, instead he just draws his knees to his chest and rests his chin on them. You stroke his hair. "This isn't your fault. You've been through so much. You've seen so much."

"I almost killed you."

"But you didn't." You insist. He looks at you.

"But I almost did." He whispers. He takes a deep breath. "I don't-I don't deserve to be near you again. I'll only hurt you. Or worse."

"No, that's not true. I love you."

"Please just leave me alone. You need to get away from me. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you because of me." He chokes out. Tears pool in your eyes. "All I'm going to do is cause you more hurt, Y/N. That's not who you married. You didn't marry a monster." He stands up and moves away from you. He turns his back on you.

"I'll be gone by morning so you won't have to worry about me putting your life on the line anymore." He states, his voice hard. Your heart breaks. You quietly stand up and walk to Bucky. You gently place your hand on his bare back and rest your forehead between his shoulder blades.

"Please. You need to go, Y/N, until I'm gone in the morning." He begs.

"I'm not going anywhere and neither are you." You whisper. "I love you, James Buchanan Barnes. Nothing will ever change that. You've never hurt me before. And I don't think you will again. Please, Bucky, you can't leave me. You just can't."

"I don't want to leave, Y/N. But I can't endanger you." He turns around to face you.

You put your hands on his shoulders and you stare up at him. "You will not endanger me. You won't." You insist, lightly shaking him.

"How can you be sure?"

"Because I know you and I love you."

Bucky pulls you into his arms and holds you. "I love you too." He cries into your hair. After a long moment, you slowly lead him back to bed. He seems so reluctant.

"It'll be fine." You soothe. You both get into bed. He turns on his side and stares at you. You smile at him and move against him. You wrap your arm around him. He lightly touches your hair.

"I love you more than anything." He whispers.

"I love you too." You return. He leans down and kisses you deeply. Then he holds you in his arms all night long.
[THE END] I hope you liked it!