Chapter 4

When I woke up in the morning I was alone. Where is he? Dad wasn't someone to go out all night and leave me by myself, especially when we were new to this city. My phone started to ring and I saw that it was my dad.

"Hey dad, Where are you?" I asked him as I picked up the phone.

"Uhm, I lost track of time I'm at Dr. Burkes apartment. I called Dr. Robbins and she said that she can pick you up and bring you to the hospital at 8:30, ok." I looked at the clock and it read 8:00.

"Okay, I'll see you at the hospital." I started to hang up and then I heard my dad start to talk.

"Mae, don't forget my bag. I left it on the counter." He continued sounding like he was talking to someone on the other end. I felt like I recognized the voice but I couldn't quite put a face to it.

"Okay, I got it dad. Bye" I hung up and started getting dressed. I put on a pair of jeans with a black tank top and a red & blue plaid flannel on top. I waited for Dr. Robbins to get here and then I started to think if I met her before or not.

* * *

30 minutes later, a red Hyundai pulled up outside. I guess it was Robbins since no one else knew where we lived. She got out of the car and I remembered who she was.

"Hey, your Shepherds daughter right?" I heard someone ask as I was sitting in the O.R. gallery.

"Yeah, and you are..." I paused not knowing her name.

"I'm Dr. Robbins, pediatric surgeon."

"Oh, so I guess you met my dad." She seemed so nice and she was so pretty, with sharp blue eyes and beautiful blonde hair.

I heard a knock at the door and I grabbed my backpack and my dads briefcase as I opened the door to greet Dr. Robbins.

"Hi, your Mae, right?" She said with the happiest smile in the world. "I'm Arizona Robbins."

"Hey!" I could tell that she works with kids everyday because of the way she didn't talk down to me like I was stupid and lost in the world. "Let's get going."

We got in the car and headed to the hospital. Arizona turned on the radio and started singing to All-American Girl by Carrie Underwood, which was one of my favorite songs. So I instantly started singing along with her.

When we arrived at the hospital we were having so much fun and laughing so hard that it started to hurt. As we walked up to the hospital doors I saw my dad standing at the front desk. It looked like he just got their a couple minutes before we did. He saw us and he started to smile as I ran up and gave him a hug.

"Thank you so much." He said to Arizona. "Did you girls have fun?'

"Yeah!" I replied looking at Arizona with a smile on my face.

"Hey I got to go. I've got a surgery in 20 minutes." Arizona said as she gave me a hug and walked off. "See you later, Mae."

Dad and I started walking to his office as I asked him why he didn't come home last night.

"I got carried away as me and a couple others went down to Burke's place. I totally lost track of time and before I knew it I fell asleep." He said. I could tell he was trying to cover something up. He had a tell, you know like those detective shows when someone would twitch their lips or blink rapidly when they were lying. Well, he had a tell. When he was lying he would look away from who he was talking to and over their head. So I knew that he was not at Burke's place and that voice I heard over the phone sounded really familiar.

"Dr. Shepherd" came that same familiar voice, "I'm on your service today. What do you need me to do."

I turned and who I saw confirmed where my father was last night.

"Dr. Grey, Can you round on my pre-ops and scrub in with me on  a glioblastoma this afternoon?" My dad asked curiously which looked like he was kissing up to her so she would spend another night with her.

"Of course Dr. Shepherd." She walked off to get the charts as me and my dad continued to walk to his office where he told me that if I finished my school i could watch his surgery from the gallery. When we got into his office he grabbed a pair of scrubs that he kept in his closet and went to change while I set up my school work on his desk and to started on my mathematics course.

"I'm going to go round and I'll meet you back here at 2:00 to bring you up to the gallery."

"Got it!" I said enthusiastically. "Have fun!"

He walked out of the room and I started thinking about whether or not I liked him with Meredith.

Will she be my new mom?

* * *

I finished school at 1:45 and my dad walked in 15 minutes later with Dr. Grey following close behind him. Of course. He grabbed his scrub cap and grabbed me around the waist and carried me out of the office. We were in the surgical wing when my dad's pager went off followed by Meredith's and then it seemed like everyone else's pager went off after that.

"What is it?" I asked confused, looking at my dad's face which showed a puzzled look. "Is it bad?"

"Uhm, it says that were in lockdown."

"What does that mean? Is it a drill?" I was starting to get more worried as he started talking to the nurses and other doctors on the floor. "Dad! I'm scared!" I usually never get scared. I've been around blood and surgeries all my life so I don't get freaked out that easily.

"Mae. Calm down." He told me kneeling down so he was eye level with me. "Everything is going to be ok. Were going to figure this out." His voice calmed me down so I wasn't so panicked. "Stay with Meredith so I can figure this out."

Derek's P.O.V.

I left Mae with Meredith and went to try and find Chief Webber. As I walked the hallways grew emptier and emptier making me feel like this was a bigger issue than I thought it was. That's when I saw him.

A shooter. More importantly it was the husband of a patient that I treated a couple weeks ago. He saw me and started walking over.

"Dr. Shepherd, you killed my wife." He said holding the gun up to my chest. My heart started pounding out of my chest and I needed to calm myself down.

"Mr. Abel, put the gun down and we can talk."

"No, you killed my wife." He was angrier this time.

"Look, I know how you feel. I lost my dad when I was 10 and two men came into a store and shot him right I front of me. I'm not perfect. I make mistakes." I tried keeping myself calm as he started to lower the gun but, I heard the door open behind me and I knew that it had to be Mae.

In that instant I heard the gun go off and i felt a shock of pain as it entered my chest. The next thing I knew I was on the floor and heard screaming as another shot rang out and then everything faded to black.