Chapter 9

Mae P.O.V.

I woke up on the couch where I was watching Supernatural the night before, except now I was covered by a blanket and my mom was sleeping on the other part of the couch. No one else was awake except for me so, I tried to get up and go outside. I grabbed my crutches and opened the door. I went outside and sat in one of the chairs on the deck and relaxed while the early morning sun hit my face.

"What're you doing out here?" My dad walked outside. "Isn't it a bit early for you." He laughed as he sat down in the chair next to me.

"I just woke up and it was too cramped in there. I needed some air." I said leaning back further in the chair. "Is mom still sleeping?"

"Yeah, I snuck out without waking her." He smiled as we both just sat there enjoying the morning sun.

* * *

"Hey, why are you just sitting outside?" I opened my eyes to see Meredith standing on the steps of the deck. "Shouldn't you both be inside resting?" She came closer.

"We've been sitting in bed for the last couple of weeks." I said sitting up. "We needed to get out of bed for once." Meredith smiled and sat down on the cooler sitting underneath the table.

"Anyway I was sent out here to check-up on you two." She said now sitting on the cooler in front of me. "Let me see your leg." I put my leg up and she unwrapped my bandage. She examined the incision and applied some sort of cream that she pulled out of her bag. "Looks good. Any pain?" She asked rewrapping my leg.

"No, just the normal pain after surgery." I answered putting my leg down once she was done. Mer move her cooler over to my dad and took a look at his chest incision. She removed the bandage and applied the same cream to his chest. She replaced the bandage as my mom walked out. "Hey, how was your sleep, Mom?"

"It was good. What's going on out here?" She asked looking confused.

"Oh, I was just sent out here to check on their incisions." Mer responded putting the cream and the extra bandages in her purse. "I was just about to head out." She stood up from the cooler and started walking over to a blue Jeep. "See ya later."

* * *

"Okay, so me and Mae will be right back. We'll go look at the houses unless you feel well enough to walk around as well." Mom started trying to figure out the plan of what we were going to do today.

"Yeah, I think I can stand it for a little bit. If I don't feel well I'll take a seat in the car." Dad said starting to head inside and get dressed as I followed behind grabbing clothes and heading into the bathroom.

"How do I look?" I asked stumbling out of the bathroom hoping on 1 leg. "It was difficult to get pants on when you cant out weight on one of your legs." I laughed grabbing my shoes and sitting down on the couch. My dad finished getting dressed and we walked out to the car to head to the first house.

We pulled up to a house with light green siding and brick lining the bottom half of the front. we started walking up and met a woman who said her name was Kathleen.

"Hi, You must be the Shepherd Family." Kathleen said with a huge smile on her face. I looked back at my dad who looked down at me smiling. I started to laugh but I held it in. "Let's get this started." She turned and entered the house. This house was huge and beautiful. We walked into an opened area with huge ceilings and a staircase that wound itself up to the 2nd floor. "This house 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, a finished basement and a grand living room." Kathleen led the way to the back of the house where the living room was connected with the kitchen and dining room.I stayed with my dad as my mom wandered the room.

"Derek, this is beautiful." she said as she stopped by the fireplace. "You guys would love it here." She smiled as she looked from my dad to me.

"I don't know." I said looking up at my dad. "It doesn't seem like us." I said unsure of the decision. "Plus, it's a little far from the hospital."

"She's right." My dad piped up. "If I'm going to buy a house, I'm going to want it to be close to the hospital." He looked over at my mom.

"Okay. So your a doctor?" Kathleen spoke up. I almost forgot she was there. "I have another house that is 2 blocks away from Seattle Grace." She looked at my dad.

"Can we see that one?" He asked turning to follow her toward the door. He turned to my mom as she began walking behind us.

* * *

We arrived at the 2nd house and I immediately liked it better than the last one. It had a more rustic look compared to the other which was more of a suburb look.

"This house has the same number of bathrooms as the other house but it has an extra bedroom. It also has a finished basement, an updated kitchen, and a connecting living room and dining room." Kathleen said as we got out of the car. "You wanna go in?" She asked looking at me. I nodded my head as we headed in. I held my dad's hand as we walked in and my mom followed close behind.

"I love it!" I said as we walked into the finished basement. It had an open floor plan where a tv and couch were placed as well as a pool table behind the couch.

"Good, you wanna go check out the bedrooms?" Kathleen asked walking toward the stairs and leading the way to the 2nd floor. "The master suite is to your left and the other bedrooms are to your right." She walked over to the left first showing the master.

"This is nice." My dad said looking around the room.

"Yeah, much better than your trailer." My mom looked at dad smirking and laughing to herself. "Let's check out Mae's room." She smiled at me. We walked across the hall and went into the bedroom in the front of the house. Kathleen said it was the biggest of the 3 and the bathroom was right next door to it.

"I love it! I can finally have my own room." I joked to my dad. He laughed back and we looked over at my mom.

"So you wanna buy?" Kathleen said. My dad looked down at me and nodded his head back to Kathleen. "Yeah, we wanna buy." We walked down to the kitchen where we sat at the table filling out the papers and everything else. "Congrats, This is your house now." She said as she stood up holding out her hand.

"Thank you." My dad shook her hand and we walked outside to the car. "We have a home, Mae." He smiled at me in the back seat. "We have a home."