Chapter 14

Derek P.O.V.

I watched as Mae slipped deeper and deeper asleep and I slipped out from under her placing a pillow underneath her head as she continued to sleep. I walked out of the room heading to Isaac's room so I could explain what happened.

I saw that he was awake and Dr. Grey in the room as I approached and entered with a smile on my face.

"Hey, Dr. Shepherd." Isaac exclaimed as I walked into the room.

"Isaac, what did I say about calling me that." I smiled as I stood closer to the bed.

"Sorry, Derek. You didn't do it did you?" He read my mind as my smile was wiped off my face.

"No, When I got in there I realized that the tumor was a lot more extensive than I thought it was and couldn't find a way to remove it. I looked to Dr. Grey as she left the room leaving me and Isaac alone. "I don't know what else to do."

"Yeah, you do. Go home sleep on it." He responded calling my bluff. "You'll try again tomorrow when you have a fresh set of eyes." He smiled keeping his optimistic tone.

"No, I can't. Your tumor is inoperable." I replied leaning on the end of the bed. "I can't remove it without cutting the chord." I grabbed the chart from the table and began leafing through it with hopes that Isaac wouldn't continue to beg me.

"Go home, have some dinner with your daughter and think it over." He continued on. "Now let me get my rest." He smiled as I took that as my cue to leave and walked out of the room toward the nurse's station where Meredith was standing.

"He wants you to try again doesn't he?" Mer asked as I handed the chart to the nurse behind the counter. "He doesn't want you to give up."

"Yeah, he wants me to go home and sleep on it." I leaned against the counter and stared into the room. "He wants me to think of another plan besides cutting the cord." I crossed my arms across my chest and looked at Meredith. "You wanna come over tonight so we can figure this thing out?" I asked not knowing the answer. She looked at me surprised as she looked around making sure no one heard me say that.

"Yeah, sure. But, would Mae be there?" She asked concerned that she would find out about our relationship.

"She already knows that we were together that day before the shooting." I smiled at her. "She figured it out when you were in the office talking about me." I laughed as I started to walk off.

"Does she know that we're still in a relationship?" She whispered so no one would hear.

"I don't think so but, you never know she is a smart kid." I laughed now walking away leaving Meredith standing at the desk.

Mae P.O.V.

I woke with my head on a pillow. No one else was in the room and the computer was making the only sound as I sat up and rubbed my eyes. My dad's lab coat wasn't on the hook so I knew that he went to check on patients or maybe he was paged. I stood and regrouped myself straightening out my now wrinkled t-shirt and started to head out of the room.

I wandered down the hall toward the surgical wing waiting room in search for my dad but instead I found Dr. Robbins.

"Hey, Mae!" She said as she saw me approach the desk. "Where's your dad?"

"I don't know. I expect that he's checking on patients or maybe he was paged for something." I groggily said still waking up from my nap. "I was actually just looking for him."

"Why don't you hang out with me today." She said bringing me along. "I heard that you and your dad got into quite the argument with Webber today, huh?" She said looking down at me as we continued to walk toward the elevator.

"Yeah, but it was nothing." I looked down watching my white Nikes as we continued to walk. "So, where are we going?" I asked looking back up at her.

"Well, I thought you could use some interaction with people your own age." She smiled. "So, we're going to the Peds floor." I stared up at her as she handed me a chart with the name Bryan Thompson on it. "Bryan has an irregular heartbeat, we placed a pacemaker in a couple days ago and he's being closely watched over the next couple of days." We continued to walk as she explained more of the case to me.

"He has cardiomyopathy. He's going to need a heart transplant sometime, isn't he? I asked reading through his chart as she explained.

"Yeah, but with the pacemaker he can remain on the transplant list while also being able to go to school." We started to approach his room as Robbing introduced me. "This is Mae, she's the daughter of another doctor here, so I decided to have her tagalong." She exclaimed looking at Bryan's parents. "If its okay with you." She made sure that I was ok to stay and proceeded to examine Bryan.

I couldn't help but noticed that Bryan was looking at me throughout the examination and I started to feel myself blush.

"Mae, you wanna listen?" Bryan spoke up and asked. "I wont bite." He laughed and I took Robbin's purple stethoscope and listened closely to his heart.

"Sounds pretty good." I said smiling at Bryan. "Right?" I asked Robbins.

"Yeah, his heartbeat is good and he's stable." Robbins took the stethoscope and wrapped it around her neck. "I'm gonna keep him here for the rest of the week just to make sure." She smiled as the parents smiled back. "I'll have Mae visit a couple times a day so you can hang out with people your own age, how does that sound?" She asked Bryan.

"Yeah, sure I don't mind." Bryan smiled at me and I smiled back nervously. I felt something in my stomach start to flutter and I turned to Robbins before something else could happen.

"See you later, Bryan." Robbins turned and walked out of the room as I followed giving a slight smile to him before I stepped out. "You like him don't you." Robbins smiled as I felt myself getting shy.

I looked toward him one more time before following behind Robbins toward our next case.