Chapter 17

Arizona P.O.V.

"Hey, Bryan." I walked into his room with a smile on my face pushing a wheelchair in front of me. "How would you like to go for a little ride?" He stared at me confused before opening his mouth to respond.

"A ride to where?"

"To your new little friend, Mae." I started to in hook some of his machines and placed him into a wheelchair. "You see she came in today really sick and she could use someone to cheer her up." He nodded as we headed out of the room and down the hall to Mae's.

Derek P.O.V.

I was a wreck as I walked out of Mae's room heading in the direction of Isaac. I was worried because I knew that aneurysms could burst and cause more damage. I was worried that I would lose my baby girl. But, I needed to keep a strong face when I arrive at Isaac's room.

"Hey, Dr. Shepherd. Did you get some rest last night?" I walked into his room and stood at the bottom of the bed. "Why aren't you in your scrubs?"

"Isaac, I can't do your surgery today." I said sternly feeling my face get hot. "Something happened and I'm not in the right headspace to open you up today." Isaac nodded seeming like he was trying to read me.

"Is it Mae?" I nodded as tears fell down my face. "Is she okay?"

"She has to have surgery today. She has a small aneurysm in her brain, but she's really sick." Isaac nodded and gestured for me to go be with her and not to worry about him.

"Go, Derek, My tumor will still be here when she gets better." I let out a laugh as I walked out of the room leaving Isaac to head for Mae.

* * *

"Hey!" Arizona stopped me as I came into the Ped's wing. "I brought Bryan to hang out with her so she could have fun." I looked from Arizona to Mae's room over her shoulder and saw her laughing and looking normal again with a boy of the same age sitting in a wheelchair next to her.

"Thanks." I wrapped Arizona in a hug for being there when I couldn't. "I just don't know what to do with myself right now." She looked at me understanding what I was going through as she brought me over to take a seat.

"She is going to be just fine. She's strong and Nelson can do this surgery with his eyes closed." She sat down beside me with her arm around my shoulder. "You can take you mind off of her for right now and worry about Isaac or another patient. Mae has an entire hospital under her wing." I smiled as she said that because I knew that Mae did have a family of doctors behind her to look after her and apparently she also had made some friends along the way.

"Thanks, I just don't know what I can do about Isaac. He wants me to take a breather and try again, but I just don't know my plan of attack." Arizona let go of my shoulder and sat back in her chair seeming to think about this current situation.

"Well, Isaac can handle another day. So take this day to build your confidence with some of your other patients, that way when you come back tomorrow you'll be fresh and able to think about this plan of attack." I nodded and started to get up to get dressed for the day as I wrapped her in one last hug before I went off.

Mae P.O.V.

"Hey, look who wanted to see you." I woke from my little nap to see Arizona wheeling someone into my room. "You remember Bryan, don't you?" She winked as she gave me a smile and locked Bryan's wheelchair at the side of my bed.

"What's this about?" I asked trying to sit up as my head pounded and the room started to spin.

"Woah, Mae don't try to sit up." Arizona rushed to my side and got my comfortable laying me back down on the bed. "You have a small aneurysm so I need you to take it easy." I settled into the bed and looked from her to Bryan who was watching this all unfold.

"Okay, I'm fine."

"Well, I'm going to let you two kids talk a bit while I get back to treating other patients. Have fun!" Arizona gave me a smile as she left the room leaving me and Bryan alone.

"So, how ya feelin'?" Bryan asked turnign my attention back to him. "You look like you could use some cheering up." He laughed as he leaned his elbows on the bottom of the bed. "I'm here to listen to anything you want to talk about." I looked at him noticing his dark auburn hair and dark brown eyes that were focused solely on me.

"Well, I feel like crap, Bryan." I laughed. "What about you?"

"I feel fine, my heart is pumping normally according to Dr. Robbins and should stay that way long enough for a heart to be found for me." He had his chin resting on his forearms looking up at me.

"Were you scared?" I asked nociting his face fall to concern.

"Of what?"

"When you first got sick. Were you scared when you found out what was wrong?" I looked down at him as the smile on his face disappeared to be replace with a look of fear.

"Yeah, I was." He answered back. "Only becuase I had seen my sisters go through the same thing I was and saw how hard and fast the doctors had to work."

"You have sisters?" I looked to him to see him shift in his seat like I had hit a nerve within him.

"Sister. Frankie was too sick according to the doctors and wasnt able to receive a transplant." I saw something form in his eyes as his face became wet with tears.

"I'm so sorry, Bry. I wish I had gotten to meet her." I gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm sure she was the best sister anyone could've had." His smile lifted and he leaned forward again.

"You have any siblings?" He asked me regaining his composure.

"Nah, being the daughter to 2 surgeons was hard enough." He laughed.

"Both your parents are surgeons, I thought just your dad was."

"Yeah, my mom is a neonatal specialist and obviously my dad is a neurosurgeon." I looked over Bryans shoudler to see my dad being stopped by Arizona at the nurse's station. "My mom and dad split up a year ago and I've been living with my dad here in Seattle." I turned my attention back to Bryan seeing him nod in understanding.

"Oh, Is it fun getting to learn all this medical stuff? BEcuae it seems like you're having fun with every docotr in this hospital." He pointed out.

"Yeah, I've spent most of my life sitting and overlooking surgeries or meeting some of their patients or even reading their charts when I was old enough to understand everything. But, it's also difficult." My face became serious as did Bryan's. 

"Difficult, how?"

"Difficult in a way that a normal kid shoudlt have to go through. I've seen families ripped apart becuase they've had to go through the decision to pull the plug on a loved one and it's get's more depressing everytime. Sometimes I dont watnt to get outof bed becuase I fear that when I do I'll have to see some family signing those papers and saying their final goodbyes." The tears started to fall down my face as I finished my rant and I looked at Bryan who seemed to understnad what I had gone through.

"That was exactly what my family went through. I understand, Mae." I looked up at him meeting his eyes.

"You're the first person that actually understands me."