Chapter 11

Mae P.O.V.

"That was amazing!" Meredith said as we finished our 5th episode of Supernatural. "How come I've never heard of this show?" She asked sitting up from her position in the chair.

"Probably because you spend all your time cutting people open." I laughed leaning up and pausing the next episode. "I'm hungry." I said standing up and stretching my legs which hurt from sitting too long.

"Ha, yeah me too." Meredith said also getting up.

"Yeah, me too." I heard a voice come from the door. "Let's eat." Dad walked into the room taking off his lab coat and tossing it on the couch by the door. I walked over to him and wrapped him in a hug. I grabbed my shoes, which I had kicked off during the 2nd episode and put them on sitting down the couch to do so.

"Let's go!" I said standing back up. "Mer are you coming?" I asked turning around to her. She looked over at dad who nodded and she walked up behind us as we walked down to the cafeteria.

* * *

"So, Mae, you wanna come watch me take out an inoperable tumor?" My dad asked as we sat down at a table. I had gotten some chicken fingers and he got a burger. Meredith came over after getting herself a salad and we began talking.

"Your taking out an inoperable tumor?" I asked surprised. "Isn't that a bit much for your first day back?" I asked looking up from my food.

"Yeah, but I promised the patient before everything happened that I would try and he already had to wait long enough." He picked up the ketchup and took the bun off his burger. "Plus, he works at the hospital." He looked from me to Mer as he put the burger and the ketchup down.

"Who is it?" Mer asked.

"It's Isaac. He has a tumor wrapped around his spinal cord." He looked at her. "And I want to help him."

"Yeah, can I scrub in?" She asked hopeful that he would let her. "It would be an honor." She smiled.

"I think she really wants in." I smiled and tilted my head at him. "Can I come into the OR?"

"You wanna come into the OR?" Dad asked looking over putting his burger down. "You've never wanted to come in before, why now?" He asked.

"Well, I've been through a lot for a 10-year old. And I'm pretty sure that I'm also pretty smart for my age." I gave him a smile and waited for his response.

"Uhh, I'll see. You might have to stay up in the gallery for this one." He smiled as he grabbed my plate seeing that I was done. "Its just that this is a big surgery."

"I get it. It's not everyday that you remove an inoperable spinal tumor, right." I chuckled. He smiled back and we both stood as we nodded to Mer who was still eating now talking to Dr. Yang. "See ya later, Mer." I smiled as we walked away to meet the patient.

"Isaac, this is Mae." We walked into the patients room. "She's my daughter and she wants to be in the OR when I take you into surgery." Isaac laughed and looked over at me.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"I'm 10."

"And you know about this tumor?" He asked checking to know if I was up on my studies. "You learn a lot from your dad, don't you?"

"Yeah, I do. I know all about your tumor." I looked up at my dad taking the chart from his hands. "Your tumor is wrapped around your spine starting at C2 and all the way down to the Lumbar region. Its called a Hemangioblastoma and the only other way to remove it is to cut the cord paralyzing the patient." My dad looked over at him shrugging his shoulders. Isaac looked from him to me shaking his head in agreement.

"You know your stuff. Maybe I'll want you to do my surgery." He joked.

"Yeah, We'll see you later, Isaac." I smiled as I turned to walk out of the room as my dad followed.

"That was smooth." He said catching up to me grabbing the chart from my arms. "You wanna assist me?" He laughed joking around with me.

"I'd love to but I don't think Mer would like it." I looked over at him. "You are letting her scrub in."

Derek P.O.V.

"Yeah, I'm letting her scrub in. But, only if she passes the contest I'm holding." I said looking down at Mae who looked so happy. She was so brave coming in today, yeah she had a little breakdown but she seemed better now and I hoped it stayed this way.

"What contest?" She asked.

"Well, I can't just let anyone scrub in. I have to make sure they can handle being in this surgery as long as it's going to be and that means handling the surgical microscope." I finished and I she would be lost but she seemed like she totally understood what I had meant by that. "You wanna come watch?" I asked as she looked up excited.

"Can I participate?" She walked faster heading towards the skills lab. "I'm sure I can beat the other residents." We walked into the room where everyone was waiting. Mae took a seat upfront and I began telling everyone what was going to go down.

"If you can make a mark directly on Mr. Washington's nose." I demonstrated putting a dollar down on the table putting a cup over it. "I will let you scrub in for the surgery." I placed the pen through the hole in the cup and guided it to the nose of the president.

"That's it." I heard someone in the group say. "That's nothing." I laughed as hands shot up. I picked on a hand closest to the front as they stepped up. They went through one by one each missing the mark. Meredith stepped up and adjusted the eyepieces to her height. She placed the dollar underneath the cup and held the pen slowly adjusting her body as the pen entered the hole in the cup. The pen landed on the metal table making a 'ping' noise and she pulled the dollar from the cup revealing that it was just slightly off the nose.

"Wow, you practice at that and I'll be out of a job." I laughed.

"Well, you better get ready to retire, old man." Dr. Yang stepped up to the table. She seemed confident as she adjusted everything the same way Mer just did and moved to place the pen and hit the edge of the cup. She seemed shocked as she froze in the same positon not moving.

'Well, Dr. Grey, you will be scrubbing in. Go get the patient ready for pre-op." I said as they all exited the room.

"Dad, Can I try?" Mae jumped up from the chair and ran over to the microscope. "Please!!!" She begged.

"Alright, let me lower the table for you." I placed the dollar underneath the cup as she stood at the now lowered table adjusting the eyepiece. She looked so cute and professional standing there. Something seemed to lodge in the back of my throat as I saw her standing there. The 10-year old that I loved more than anything. The person I would do anything for. She seemed to grow up before my eyes and this moment right now answered every question that I had. She was the best daughter I could ask for and I would not trade her for anything in the world.

"Dad, I did it." She broke me out of my trance and I walked over to the table lifting up the cup. I picked up the dollar seeing where the red mark was.

"How'd you do this?" I asked seeing that the red dot was perfectly on the nose of the president.