Chapter 8

Mae P.O.V.

My mom and I walked, or crutched, down to the cafeteria. It took longer than we thought since I was just getting used to the crutches as well as getting used to having to walk around with the leg that has held me up In bed for the past week. But we made it. My mom got us a table and she went to get us our food while I rested at the table.

"Okay, I got you a burger, no cheese, no onion, with some fries and a water." She gave me a smile. "It still is your favorite, right?"

"Yeah it is." I laughed grabbing the burger. "Thanks." I shoved the burger into my mouth since the last week I've been forced to eat whatever the nurses gave me and it usually wasn't a burger. "You think Dad is going to be able to come home today?" I asked once I finished the bite I just took.

"I think he will." She said taking a drink of water. "He seems to be healed and doesn't really need to be in the hospital anymore." She smiled giving me hope that he'll be coming home as well today.

"Good." I said. "Are you really going to take me house hunting tomorrow?"

"Yeah, Look at it this way. You can look at the houses and if they don't have a big enough room for you we won't choose it." She laughed. "You finished?" She said looking at my empty plate.

"Yeah, let's go back to dad." I said grabbing my crutches.

Derek P.O.V.

"So, your incision isn't infected and your heart rate and BP are normal so you should be able to go home today." Dr. Burke reported during his examination. "Where's Mae?"

"She went down to eat with her mom." I said adjusting my position. "She's going to be so excited that I get to go home."

"Yeah, your married?" He asked confused.

"No, I was married. We got divorced when I got the call from Webber saying he wanted me to work here." I saw Mae and Addison coming out of the elevator. "But she is still Mae's mom so I try and get along with her." I laughed.

"Hey, Dr. Burke. Is he okay?" Mae crutched into the room. "Can he go home today?" She looked hopeful.

"Yeah, His heart rate and BP are perfect and his incision is healed and not infected. He can go home today." Burke finished as Mae wrapped him in a hug almost falling because she let go of her crutches.

"Woah, Sweetheart. You okay?" I asked seeing her fall into Burke.

"Yeah. I forgot that I can't put weight on my left leg yet." She laughed as Addison picked up her crutches. "I was just so excited for you. Can he leave now or at the end of the day?" She looked back at Burke.

"Well, I would like him to stay a little longer but, it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to leave now." Burke turned his attention back to me. I looked over at Mae leaning on her crutches.

"Well, as much as I like you Burke I'm getting tired of seeing you." I laughed. "I think it's time for me to go home. If anything happens Addison will be there, right?" I looked over at her standing in the corner behind Mae.

"Yeah, I'll be there."

'Good, then I can officially have you sign these discharge papers and let you go home." He said grabbing the papers and handing them to me.

* * *

Mae P.O.V.

"You are free to go home, Dr. Shepherd." Dr. Burke said finishing the paperwork and removing the leads from my dads chest.

"Thank you so much, Burke." My dad sat up on the edge of the bed and grabbed his clothes that were sitting on the chair beside him. "Are you going to let me get dressed?" He asked looking at me.

"You think I haven't seen you naked? We live in a trailer." I smirked at him. "Just get dressed." I said sitting down on the bed. He grabbed his pants and slid them on and then he removed his gown. As he took it off I saw the incision on his chest. It went from his neck all the way down to where his ribs ended and all I could think of his that day. The day that I almost lost my dad. My best friend. My teacher. The day where my entire life could've changed. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to get out of that room.

"Mae, Mae." I heard my mom scream as I left the room. "Where are you going?" I couldn't answer because I felt myself start to tear up as I ran into someone.

"Mae, are you okay?" I looked up to see Meredith. "Your crying." I wiped the tears from my eyes and she brought me over to a chair a couple feet away.

"It's the scar. I saw it when my dad was changing." I looked up wiping the remaining tears from my cheeks. "I can't help but be reminded of that day. The day when my life could've changed."

"Look, It's going to be hard for the first couple of weeks maybe months but, you will get over this." She put her arm around me rubbing my left arm. "Trust me. You will get over this. Your a strong girl, Mae." She gave me a smile and wrapped me in a hug.

"Thanks, Mer." I smiled as I saw my mom coming toward us. "I'm fine, mom. Just a mini freak out." I said getting up situating my crutches under my arms. "I'm fine."

"You sure?" She asked helping me get started.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I looked up at her as I started toward my dad's room.

"Of course you are." She smiled following behind me. "Your my strong girl."

* * *

"Let's go home." My dad said as we walked in seeing him sitting in a wheelchair. "It's time to get out of here." He smiled as my mom went and pushed the wheelchair. I followed behind them as we walked toward the elevator and went down to the car.

"Which car are we going to take?" I asked as we walked out the door.

"We'll take my car." My mom said. "It'll be easier than having you get up into his truck." She looked down at dad. I got into the back seat and put my left leg up on the seat next to me. We started driving as my dad told my mom where to go and I pulled out the book from my backpack.

"This is where you parked your trailer." Mom said as she pulled up to the trailer in the middle of the woods. "Isn't it a bit far from the hospital?"

"Yeah, but we like the quiet." He looked back at me smiling. "Plus, we don't spend a lot of time here." My mom stopped the car and put it park as I opened the door placing my crutches on the floor outside and trying to get my balance. My mom helped dad out of the car and up to the door as I grabbed my backpack and threw it over my shoulders and followed behind them.

"This is nice." My mom said sarcastically helping my dad in and to the bed in the back. "Mae, where do you sleep?" She placed my dad into the bed and looked back at me standing in the doorway.

"I sleep on the couch normally but, there's sometimes that I sleep in the same bed as dad." I answered putting my bag on the table and sitting on the couch.

"Really, Derek." She turned back to dad. "You really let our 10-year old daughter sleep on the couch will you sleep in the nice comfy bed." My dad rolled his eyes looking from my mom to me.

"Look, I've been trying to find time to look for a house but, I've had surgeries and then this little thing happened and well." He responded looking back at mom. "Sorry about that." He said sarcastically.

"Well, let's just get you settled in bed. Mae, you should stay in the bed too." She looked at me. "It's better for your leg."

"Okay, whatever you say." I said turning on the tv.

"Okay, We'll go look for a house tomorrow." She said coming over and sitting next to me on the couch. "Whatcha watching?" She asked getting comfy.

"Supernatural, It's my favorite show." I answered looking back at her from where I was sitting.

"Oh, what's it about?" She asked.

"It's about these 2 brothers who hunt monsters like vampires, werewolves and ghosts." I said watching as Dean shot a ghost with rock salt. "Their motto is 'Saving People, Hunting Things, The Family Business'."