Chapter 6

Mae P.O.V.

"Is my dad awake?" I asked as Dr. Grey checked my vitals. "Is he okay?"

"He's fine. He's awake and asking for you." She smiled as she put the cold stethoscope onto my chest and waited for me to take a deep breath. "You can see him in a few hours." She nodded. "Just give him time to wake up."

"Okay." I felt lonely. I was used to being in a room alone because of all the times I had to do homework in his office or had to walk myself home from softball practice because he had a late surgery and don't forget about the times that both my parents were in surgery and I had to hop from one O.R. to another watching both of them. But this was different. It was different because the other times I knew that they were safe and at work but this time he was laying in a hospital bed with a scar in the middle of his chest.

"Look, He is going to be fine." She sat down on my bed and looked me in the eyes. "You know what, let me see if I can bring you down to his room." She gave me a smile and walked out leaving me alone in the room.

Derek P.O.V.

"Ughh." I woke up with the worst pain in my chest and Dr. Burke leaning over the table in front of me writing something in the chart. "Where's Mae?" I asked as he saw I was waking up.

"She's fine. She's in the PICU being watched over by Dr. Grey." I gave him a confused look. "You don't know." He asked seeing my face.

"No, what happened to her? Is she alright?" I asked starting to get worried.

"She's fine. She had a bullet wound in her thigh but Dr. Grey and Dr. Torres were able to remove it without any complications." He smiled calming me down. I heard my heart rate slowing as I was able to calm down.

"Can I see her?" I needed to make sure she was okay. I wanted to talk to her about everything. I knew she was scared because she was brave and strong and that's what I love about her.

"Yeah, but I'll have to bring her here." He started to walk out as he bumped into Dr. Grey. They seemed to be talking about me and I think Mae but I couldn't hear them. Meredith kept looking over at me and smiling until she walked away the way she came.

* * *

20 minutes went by and I saw Dr. Grey coming wheeling Mae in a wheelchair. I started to smile as they entered the room.

"Dad!" Mae smiled as she entered the room. "Your okay. I was so worried about you." She grabbed my hand as I squeezed hers.

"Hey, baby girl. How're you feeling?" I looked down at her leg which was wrapped.

"I'm fine. Apparently Dr. Grey did the surgery by herself until Dr. Torres was able to come help." I looked over at Meredith and gave her a smile. She smiled back and left the room leaving us alone.

"You know, I should probably call your mother about this." I gave her a serious look. "She'll be furious at me if she finds out without me telling her." I gave her a smile.

"Yeah, Should we call he now?" She pulled out her cell phone and opened it to her contacts. She clicked on the contact Mom and the phone started to ring.

"Hey, sweetheart." she picked up. "What's up?"

"Hey, Addison. We just wanted to check in." I looked at Mae.

"Oh, hey Derek. I didn't realize you were also in the room." She responded. "Is everything alright?" She started to sound worried.

"Everything's fine." I tried to calm her down. "There's been an accident. Someone came into the hospital. We're both fine." I saw Mae's face and knew she was worried. I knew that Addison was too. "We were confronted by him and he took out a gun and started shooting. He hit both of us but we are both fine." I tried to say as calmly as possible but I knew that Addison would not take it that way.

"You were shot!" She screamed into the phone. "Both of you were shot!" She continued to yell into the phone. Thank god it wasn't close to my ear. "I'm coming out there as soon as possible."

"No, you don't have to--"

"I'm getting on the earliest flight. I'll be there as soon as I can." She interrupted as she hung up the phone. I looked over at Mae and started to laugh.

"Well, that went smooth." I smiled at her. "Looks like were going to have explain this situation."