Chapter 16

Derek P.O.V.

"So, how was hanging with Arizona today?" I turned to look at Mae who seemed to be lost in the skyscrapers and cars that we were passing by on the road. "Anything interesting happen?" She looked at me and rolled her eyes.

"Nah, it was just good to be able to talk to people around my age." She adjusted her position in the seat to face me. "But, I did meet this boy named Bryan who was actually really nice, Arizona said that I can hang out in his room if he was up to it." She seemed so happy thinking about this Bryan kid and I knew it was something more.

"So, you like him as a friend or is it something else?" I laughed shifting my attention for an instant from the road to see her face get red. "I think you do." She slapped me in the leg as I grabbed her wrist before she could pull away.

"Well, it's only fair that if you get to see Meredith, I get to see someone too." She pulled back hard to free herself from my grip.

"Okay, let's get something to eat and we'll talk about this later." I released my hand from her wrist and fell backwards into the seat as I broke up into a loud laugh. "What do you want?"

"Chinese!"

* * *

The Next Day...

"Mae, let's go!" I screamed up to her room waiting for her to come running down the stairs. "We're going to be late." I placed my bag down and started walking up the stairs to her room seeing the door slightly opened. "Mae?" I opened the door to see that her room was empty, her bed was a mess from where she had slept and her backpack was sitting on her desk near the window, but Mae was nowhere to be found. I turned toward the bathroom around the corner and noticed that it was pushed somewhat closed and when I opened it I found Mae. She was laying on the floor unconscious with her toothbrush and toothpaste laying next to her. "MAE!!!" I ran to her holding her head still making sure she hadn't hit it as she woke groggily.

"What?" She asked in a confused and quiet tone.

"What happened?" I continued to hold her head as she tried to figure out why she was laying on the floor.

"I was brushing my teeth and I felt light-headed. I guess I must've passed out." She started to sit up, which I knew was a good sign, as I braced her with my arms.

"Okay, but you're going to be examined when we get to the hospital. This shouldn't have happened." I helped her up as I went toward her room so she could grab her shoes and backpack as we made our way downstairs and out to the car. "When did you start to feel light-headed?" I turned to see her resting her head against the head rest. "Does your head still hurt?"

"I don't know. I got out of bed and started to get ready and then something clicked and made me feel, off." She turned her head my way still resting it on the head rest. "Right now it feels like my brain is like a thousand pounds." I started to worry and I knew I needed to get her to Grey-Sloan immediately.

* * *

We arrived at the hospital as I grabbed my bag and threw Mae's over my shoulder as I helped her out of the car and into the main doors. She seemed to be getting worse as she could no longer open her eyes all the way and was squinting at everything.

"Mae, what's wrong?" Arizona came up as we walked over toward the front desk.

"We don't know. All we know is that she has an intense headache and she passed out before we got in the car." I answered holding Mae as she draped her arm over my shoulders. "Can you help me get her checked into a room?" I asked as Arizona grabbed our bags from my arms and helped me get Mae up to the Pediatrics wing.

"Here we can put her in this room and we can do some tests to see what's going on." Arizona helped me get her into room 2152.

"Thank you so much, Arizona." She smiled as I lifted Mae up to the bed and helped her into a gown as she left the room. I got Mae comfortable as I noticed that she had been getting paler and paler since we arrived here.

"Dad, what's going on?" She sounded faint. "What's wrong with me?" I looked at her as tears came to my eyes looking at this child who was no longer the strong and energetic daughter but instead morphed into a scared and delicate little kid who I needed to be here for.

'We're going to figure this out." I ran my hand down the back of her head as I sat in the chair beside her. "We're going to run some tests and we'll get to the bottom of this." I placed my hand in hers as she squeezed it tightly letting me know that she understood.

"Okay, we're going to take her for some scans of her brain to see if it's something in there." Arizona came into the room holding her chart. "Derek, you know you can't come with, right." I nodded as I took a seat back in the chair as I watched them wheel her toward Radiology.

I sat in the now empty room trying not to let the tears run down my face, but I failed as they started to flood down my cheeks.

"Dr. Shepherd, are you ok?" I heard a voice coming from the door as I wiped the tears from my eyes knowing that they had left my eyes red and puffy. "What's wrong?" I turned to see Meredith walking into the room and kneeling in front of where I was sitting.

"It's Mae. There's something wrong with her and I cant figure out what." She put her hands on my knees as I placed mine on top of hers. "I'm just worried that she's worse than she looks and I'll---"

"Hey, Mae is a strong girl. She can handle anything." She cut me off before I could finish. "Whatever she is going through just know that she has an entire hospital rooting for her." She stood and placed her hands under my chin lifting it up so she could look me in the eyes. I looked up at her and into her blue eyes as I felt myself calming down as Mae was rolled into the room.

"Hey, baby girl." I walked over to her smiling. "Feeling any better?" She nodded her head as if to say no and Arizona stepped into her room holding her scans.

"Okay the scans show that Mae has an acute aneurysm, but it's small and it can be easily fixed." She put the scans up to the light on the wall. "Now, as you know you cant do the surgery so I asked Nelson and he says that he can do it later today." She smiled as I nodded walking over and giving her a hug. "As you know you have Isaac's surgery today, but I am willing to go and tell him that you have to reschedule if you want."

"No, I can tell him. Can you stay with Mae?" I asked before leaving the room to go check on Isaac.

"Yeah, actually I have another idea." She smiled looking at Mae. "How would you like to have a visit from Bryan?"