Experiment #23

It had been so easy. Pathetically easy, really. Experiment #23 snickered to herself. The real Coal was already head over heels for the Tide, and all she had to do was tip the scales a little. Child’s play. The plan had gone slightly off when Tide had almost unlocked Coal, but the bump was quickly smoothed out.

She and Experiment #19 had told the others that Izila’s lab was in the Himalayas, which it was, but Izila was expecting them of course. #23 smiled as the Land Rover they had ‘borrowed’ rumbled over the dirt road. It was dark now, and they had stopped, but they would reach the airport tomorrow.

    “Tide?”

#23 flinched slightly. She was going to have to get used to that. Tide was her name now. She looked down and saw the little girl – Tree Sap or something – staring earnestly up at her.

    “What?” #23 asked, trying to sound gentle, picking Honey – no Maple – up and putting her on her lap.

    “I can’t sleep.” Maple said, curling against #23’s chest.

Well, too bad for you, she thought cruelly, but instead smiled.

    “It’s okay, I’m right here, and we’ll be there in the morning.” #23 said soothingly, running her fingers through Maple’s tangled auburn curls.

The girl gripped #23’s sweatshirt, settling down, and her breathing slowed. #23 leaned to her right and jabbed #19 awake. He narrowed his eyes at her, and she returned the glare.

They both knew only one of them was going to make it back to Izila’s real base. That’s what she had told them.

Only one of you can be successful, she had said. There’s only room for one.

It would be her. #23 was sure of it. She would make it happen. She was the smartest, the fastest, and overall better clone of both of them. She was more advanced than #19. She was going to wait for an opportune moment to get rid of him. Izila would be proud.

But for now, #23 settled back with Maple on her lap, and motioned for #19 to take watch. The time would come, but it wasn’t now. They had to bring the others to the base first. Then she would strike.

It was just a little longer.