Replaced

My legs start pumping before I can think. I'm not sure, but I think I say something that sounds like a garbled 'no!" but my thoughts aren't connecting very well. I'm moving fast, reacting off of instinct. The Tide clone notices my flash of movement from the corner of her eye and suddenly the barrel is aiming at me as I charge at her.

"NO!" It's Coal's turn to shout. There's so much fear and anger and horror in that one word that it surprises me and send my heels digging into the ground.

But it's too late. I try to duck, and a loud bang echoes around room, ringing in my ears. It almost drowns out the screaming pain in my shoulder as the bullet rips into skin. She missed my chest, but there's still a hole in my shoulder, bleeding and all that fun stuff.

"Tide!" Coal runs over, but the ground starts shaking violently as the Tide clone dashes away. Terra is trying her best to stop her, but we lose sight of her as a stalactites tumble from the ceiling. I cough in dust, making my shoulder burn with pain.

"Tide, are you alright?" It's Coal, right next to me, gently lowering me to the ground. His right hand comes up dark with blood but he ignores it. "Of course you're not fine," he mutters, more to himself. "Don't do that again, ever. Promise me you won't. Now."

"What?" I blink, trying to ignore the searing pain that's taking over my arm.

"You have to stop doing things like this. You're going to kill me doing things like that, you know? You're going to give me a freaking heart attack."

I'm surprised by this. "You - you care that much?"

"Of course I care!" he exclaims immediately, as if any other thought is unimaginable. "I love -"

Coal stops short, suddenly aware of what he's saying. Our eyes lock, both processing the words hanging in the air like bombs. I wait for him to add anything - one specific word in particular - but he just has a puzzled expression on his face, like he's guilty for telling me that.

"Tide," Stella's voice gets closer, breaking the stunned silence. Her thin frame appears out of the clouds of dust. "Tide, where did you -" she sees the wound and bends down, running her fingers carefully over it. "The bullet is still inside of her." she says to Coal, then turns to me. "I will put you to sleep and then take it out."

I frown, not really liking the sound of that. "I think I'm good -"

"That was not a question, Tide." Stella says firmly. Her fingers lightly touch my temple and then I'm out cold.

~

I wake up feeling cold, so I tuck my legs closer to me. I'm on my side - the pain now just a dull throb - in a small room. It's painted dark green, which makes it seem all the smaller, except for the ceiling, which is beige and has a sad little bulb hanging down to dimly light the floor. There's no other furniture, save the lumpy bed I'm on, and a chair in the corner. It's a cushy Victorian style one, with someone on it. I peer at the figure, blinking my eyes rapidly to wake up, and see its Coal.

I smile wryly when I see he's asleep. He looks so cute and innocent when he's sleeping, the usual serious darkness lifted from his face. I can see happiness, but also lots of worry and concern there, all in the curve of his mouth. It's funny, he normally keeps all those things hidden, masking them with sarcasm and half-grins, but now they come out.

I lay back down, but can't go to sleep. I've grown accustom to having someone next to me. A certain, warm someone. I roll over, and try to ignore the fact that Coal is a mere, easily manageable, four feet away.

I'm lying to myself though, and I sit back up, putting my toes on the floor. I stand, the sensation of flat, cold stone on my bare feet almost forgotten. Quietly, I tiptoe over to Coal so I don't wake him up. I slide into the open space on the chair and pull my knees up to my chest, leaning on Coal for the warmth. My chin finds its way to his shoulder, and I feel myself falling asleep. My eyelids start to close, when suddenly he speaks.