Family Ties

You stare down at the old photos in the file. Most of them are you as a baby with your mother but only one photo had a picture of your father, a family portrait. You on your mother's lap as your father stood behind your mother. There was one photo that also stood out. You took that photo a snuck it into your pocket along with the family portrait.
"No vonder zhe Blue team vants jou. Jou are zeir former boss' daughter. Zhat and Mr.Gray vould vant jou dead too. He may be maternally related to Mr.Blu and Mr.Redmond, but he has no right to zhe land over jou. Zhe land was given to Blu and Red only, so jou vould be next in line." It's sad to say but Medic was right. You close the folder and slide it back to Spy.
      "I don't like remembering my family..... They're gone now..... so best not think of them. But if this land is so important to.... uhh...." You looked up to Medic, who stood over your shoulder, to help you out.
      "Mr.Red and Mr.Blu." Medic looked up at the team but quickly put his gaze down. "Wie vork for Mr.Red. Although, wie have not heard from him in a long time. Not zhe old Frau or Miss Pauling." You sat in the chair thinking for a good minute. The whole room was oddly silent. Something just felt off about the whole team and this whole situation. After a good few minutes of silent thinking and possible zoning out, you spoke up.
       "I understand this whole situation. Mr.Gray wants the land so there for he is trying to kill me because I am the one who legally owns all the land. As to why he would want this land, I don't know. I can't figure that out now. But the question that seems to stand out the most to me is, why are you guys risking life and limb for me? You could just hand me over to Mr.Gray as a peace offering. That and why don't you all split up? Sniper told me because you guys work better as a team but seriously? You guys fight like the mad men you are and I had to step in and fight to save you guys from being killed. Twice!" You sigh and pull your knees to your chest. You lay your head down onto your knees and grip your hair. "I want to go back home. To Kansas. If Mr.Gray sends the Blu's to kill me then fine. But I just want... to go home." The whole team sympathises with you silently. They all know how strange this place is and how their life is dangerously insane. All of the mercs miss their homes too. Medic reached down and patted your back.
     "Jou can't (y/n). Jou know jou vill be killed." Medic kept rubbing your back, giving you some comfort. Scout scoffed and looked down at the table.
    "(N/N), I think all of us know how wrong it is to drag a child into a war but we don't want to give ya up to Mr.Grey just so he can kill ya!" Scout started getting riled up but he took a second to contain himself. "Look kid, ya already part of this battle. Ya have been since ya were born. That's why........... That........" Scout sighed, not wanting to be the bearer of bad news. Heavy took the chance to talk and sadly had to be the one to say it.
      "That why your home was attacked. Red man did not want brother to have offspring and cheat in bet. So he sent us, and blu to fight in that area. Told us it was new battle ground." Heavy looked over to Scout. Indicating he should keep explaining. Scout looked down.
      "Two of ma brothers were assigned to keep an eye on ya Mom and ya. I guess in the heat of battle, we choose to ignore the towns people running away and screaming. I have no idea what happened to ma brothers but...... We, my family and I, never found them or their bodies. In all honesty, none of us remember that battle in the first place." The whole team looked down and some of them shook their heads. "We only know we did because of security files Spook went out and found. Took a month and a half but now we have a more clear picture on what the hell happened." You sat there on the chair. Blank faced. Unmoving. Your brain was still trying to process the information that was given to you. As well as the team, you too don't remember much from that day. Just screaming. Lots of screaming. You cold stare the table for what feels like hours but was only a mer minute.
       "Best not dwell on the past. What matters is now." Spy broke the silence this time. "(Y/n), It may be 'ard to say but I think I speak for all of the team when I say that we want to keep 'ou around. Wether as an asset or an offering to Mr.Gray. We are keeping 'ou with us." Immediately you jumped up, angered.
      "I'm not a dog you can cage, bastard!" Medic grabbed the back of your shirt and held you back so you wouldn't storm over there and kick his ass. Scout, Demo, and Engie smiled at your fierce tiny anger.
      "Watch yourself Spook. She's killed a Spy before, she can do it again!" Scout snickered and leaned his head on his hand. This got a small wave of chuckles from all the Mercs but Spy who was scolding Scout. The atmosphere around the table changed. You sighed and slump back down into the chair.
     "Hey darlin'. What Spy and the others are tryin' to say is that we don't want you to go. You kinda just..... Became part of the team!" Engie finally just stated what all the other men wanted to say. You looked up at Engie and see him and all the mercs nodding their heads slightly. You look up at Medic and see he is smiling down at you. His smile was scary, a wide evil smirk. But you knew there was no bad intent behind that devious grin.
        "We know we have not really been checkin' up on ya really Toots. All of us kind of just shut each other out for awhile. We're all worried about what's gonna happen." Scout spoke for the team on behave of the crazy few days they have been having sense the recent attack. Slowly you nod your head in understanding.
"Gentleman, Now that we are all 'ere, I think it is about time we discuss what our next move is. Do we move to the Mountain base, or stay here?" Spy looked to the round table of men. After a few minutes of muffled discussing amongst the men, they all looked to Spy. "Well, move or stay?" In unison, all the men had said,
"Move." After a few statements given by Solider and Demo about the Base, the whole team had known that it would be better to move. They would be in a new position, an UNKNOWN position, new ammo, and mountain coverage. The pros far out weighed the cons. So the decision was made to start packing as much up as they can today and tomorrow, then leave in the morning after tomorrow. The meeting concluded and all the men left to go their separate ways to start packing. You had sat and listened through the whole meeting after the decision was made to move. As you were leaving you spotted Medic and it crossed your mind that you took a needle from him for sewing. You ran to your room and got needle. You opened the door just in time before Medic passed your room.
"Ah! M-Me.... Med....." You stumbled to say his name but got his attention either way.
"Hm? Ja (Y/n)?" He strode over to you and looked down at you. You were literally a fourth of Medic's height. The German Doctor is relatively tall compared to his team. You reach into your pocket and pull out the needle. You hand it to him and take a step back closer to your door.
"Sorry. I took it so I could sew Spy's jacket. Sorry for also barging in...." You kept your head down realising the many wrongs you have done to Medic. Softly Medic chuckles at you and puts the needle in his pocket. You look up to see him smiling. His normal smile is something sinister by itself but this smile was soft and genuine. Medic kneels down and pats your head.
"It's ok Faru. Jou are so apologetic about everyzhing, it's actually kinda cute. Just ask next time to barrow somezhing as dangerous as a needle, ja?" A part of you warmed up inside. The whole team of mercenaries were so nice to you, it almost felt strange. If you were told to think of a mercenary, kind would not usually be in the job description. You nod your head to agree to Medic's terms. Medic stood up and left to the Medbay. For some reason, out of an odd instinct, you wanted to fallow Medic and hold onto him. You didn't fallow him though, not immediately. First you fought back on moving for him. But after a few seconds you gave in and trotted after him, seeking his company.
        In all honesty, you kind of developed this fatherly bond with Medic in your head. A brotherly bond with Scout and Pyro. A 'crazy uncle you love to be with but Medic hates you being with him because he is a bad influence' bond with Sniper and Spy. A protectors bond with Heavy. As for Soldier, Engie, and Demo, you had spent little to no time with them to really develop any kind of small bond.
For the rest of the day you spent it in the Medbay watching Medic walk around and gather items for packing. He knows he can't take a lot of stuff, just the necessities. But Medic is a collective man, and he has many things he needs. Kind of part of his job, being a Medic with all the medical supplies. To your joy, you got to meet Archimedes and his flock of doves (or pidgins. To me, they look like doves). Even had the chance to feed them. Medic and you talked very litte that day, mostly it was silence. But it made you feel happy and content. For it was a comfortable silence. You liked that silence, it was a perk of being alone for so long. But now this silence was far better, because you had someone to share that calm blissfully long moment with.