Silence Please

For the next few nights you either spent it in the living room looking up at the sky light or staying in your room. Some times the mercs would pass by and say hello but they would never stay and sit for the while. You think that they know it is best to give you space. Even if you are out in the open where you could be confronted any time. It was a way for them to let you know that you were improving but they weren't going to take any further steps into your comfort zone without you wanting them to. All the mercs knew this, but Scout. He would pop in and lay down next to you any time he got the chance to see you out of your room. He would talk for hours about things you didn't even tune in to listen to. When ever the other mercs saw you with Scout they kept extra distant. Not even entering the living room to say hi, only peek their heads out from the kitchen door frame and hallway door frame to stare at Scout and you with confusion and concern. In all honesty, despite not listening to a word Scout said, you moderately enjoyed his company. If he would shut up every once and awhile then you would have loved to have him around all the time but knowing Scout, that wish is near to almost exactly impossible.
         It was another clear night that you wanted to sit in the living room and watch the stars again. So you took your blankie that is four times your size and extra fluffy to the living room. You nuzzled up into a ball next to the unlit fire place out of the way of the living rooms walk way. A few minutes in, everything was quiet and somber, you already spotted a few constellations. That is until Scout came bounding in. Once he spots you, it's all over. Immediately he greets you and starts rambling about God knows what. He sits next to you and rambles on as usual. After a good hour of non-stop talking, some where in that hour Scout had laid down. At this time, you really have had enough of his chatter. Midway through one of Scout's rants you shuffled over to him and flopped your upper half on his chest. Scout stutters and shuts up. He props himself up on his elbows and looks down at you.
          "Huh? Ya ok Toots? Is it-" before Scout could finish his sentence you cut him off.
           "SCO........... Shut up." You kept your head flat on his chest with your blanket covering you waist down. Scout took a second but smiled and petted your head.
             "M'kay." You lift your head up and look at Scout in disbelief.
              "That's all it took to make you stop talking?!" Your cheeks turn a small pink hint when Scout starts laughing at you and nodding his head.
               "On one condition. I get to hold you. And sit on the couch because the floor hurts like hell." You slide off of Scout as he stands up and stretches. "Or I could keep talking about my summer vacation at lake Hemsworth the third time around when I-"
                "NO." You stand up and fling yourself onto the couch with your blanket trailing behind you. You gather your blanket up and look at Scout smile widely and lay down next to you on his side. Scout wraps you up in his arms and his smile softens out. Some how his soft smile reminds you of Spy's. Not that the face's looked the same but the soft smile that is given to you by both the men hold the same feeling. Not sure what the feeling is but it looks familiar. "You ok?" You lay on your side facing Scout and look up at him.
              "I should be asking ya that question Toots! Ya seem ta be moppin' around and all. I and the otha's are a little worried." Scout takes your blanket and wraps himself and you together in a little fluff ball. He pulls you close and holds you to his chest.
               "Why? Also, why are you holding me so close? Not that it's bad. I'm just.... confused." You look up at Scout with big eyes and a blank expression. Scout gives out a huge awwwww and snuggles you closer than before.
            "I see ya as the little sista I always wanted. I'll be ya big bro and i'll protect ya. If ya want me to." You blank out for a good few seconds thinking about that.
             "I've never had a big brother..... What's it like?" Scout for once was the one with a blank expression and a few seconds of recollection.
               "I've never been a big brother. I was the youngest of seven older brothers. They were terrible to me. But it made me strong." Scout looked down at you and smiled. "I won't be mean to ya though. I'm too cool for that." You knew Scout was just playing around saying that last statement but the more you look at him, the more you see the sense of pride he has in being a good big brother for someone because he knows how it feels to be treated with bad big brothers.
              "Ok. You can be my brother. For now. I don't know how you would be my brother when I go back home to Kansas. If I go back that is...." You sigh and your expression softens down to sadness. "I'm worried I might not make it out of this situation. A murderous Uncle with a team of mercenaries that look just like you guys but with blue clothes who is out to kill me for a stupid land deed. And for some reason I can't just give him the land apparently. If I could then we would have done it a long time ago." Scout nervously swallows, knowing why the situation is not as easy as all the men and you want it to be. "I know you and the others hide information from me. I don't know why but I leave it alone. I think that is what's making me depressed. I miss home and I don't know what's going on now. My life is threatened and all I do is sit in a room everyday doing nothing and then can't sleep at night so I just sit on a porch watching the stars desperately trying to convince myself that i'm under the same sky as the one that comes over my home." Your voice is starting to crack and you are shaking a little. Scout nuzzles you into him and rubs your back.
             "I know how that feels ya know..... Ta miss home. Ta feel lost. Everyday I wake up, it's a constant battle. I don't know if i'm gonna die that day or the next. I don't know if i'm gonna make it back home to see my Ma....... Because of that constant fear though, I strive to make sure I survive. I'm gonna make sure ya get home too. Maybe one day ya can meet my Ma. She would love ya to hell and back, I bet cha!" Scout smiled down at you and you smiled crookedly back. "Ya not alone (Y/n). I and the whole team are in the dark about what to do next really. We're all...... Kinda scared." Scout's smile was soft and sincere. It some how made you feel better. Maybe the feeling of not being the only one lost and scared for your life made you feel better.
            "Even though you guys are a bunch of burly manly mercenaries?" You give Scout a soft smile in humour. Scout chuckles and kisses the top of your head.
              "Even though we are a bunch of burly manly mercenaries." You let out a little tired giggle and sigh. Scout cuddles you more happily and stays silent to let you drift into sleep. This conversation has helped you relax more and get more comfortable around Scout. You decide from now on that you should open up a little more to the mercs. Besides, all of them and you were in the same situation together. Maybe they won't be so bad.....