Goodness Me: Kryoz

A gentle sigh escaped (name)'s mouth. Her heartbeat was regular; calm and slow. Her stomach rose and fell with each inhale and exhale respectively, and John wanted nothing more than to protect his best friend.

She had called him crying the night before, talking about how she was struggling with school and all of her assignments. (name) was in all of the honors classes her school offered, and it had begun to take a toll on her, mentally and physically. Slowly, John could see her weight dropping, and bags developing underneath her eyes.
He would make it his job to help her, by making her a hearty meal or taking her out to dinner. Last night, he hadn't known how to help.
(name) was crying and pulling at his shirt, sobbing, but silent. He had tried patting her back and playing with her hair to calm her down, but nothing seemed to work; until he wrapped his arms around his best friend's upper body in a bear hug. John whispered sweet things about her, and did his best to keep a smile on her face, no matter what it cost. She started to get sleepy, and her crying slowed down, but she was still wrapped around John. Her arms were latched around his shoulders, with her face in his chest.
Although his new shirt was being stained by her tears, he knew they would dry, and that she would feel better with time. So he just kept rubbing her back and whispering that everything would be alright, until she fell asleep, and her tight grip fell away.
John picked her up gently and laid her in his bed, making sure to tuck her in loosely, with a small stuffed rabbit under her arm. He grabbed a pillow and a thin blanket and laid on the floor, watching her to see if she needed anything. Instead, he saw the calm rise and fall of her chest under the blankets, and smiled a little at how peaceful she looked.

She had woken up in the middle of the night, and had seen him shivering on the floor. Getting up, (name) walked over to his sleepless body and tapped his shoulder. "John?"
"Yeah?" He asked, drowsily. A yawn then erupted from his mouth, drawing out his answer.
"Why are you on the floor?" (name) asked, drawing him to his feet.
John stretched quietly and smiled. "You were in my bed, and I wanted to make sure you were okay, so I made myself a smaller bed on the floor."
A smile burst onto her features, showing how her eyes shone brilliantly in the early morning light. "Aww, John, that's so sweet of you! But, it is winter, and you were shivering, so why not come up here? We've been friends since we were kids, so I don't think it'd be strange," she inquired, smiling brightly.
Although he didn't want to, John agreed. The house was cold, and he wanted to be gentlemanly to his best friend. Truth was, they had dated before, but both of them had deemed it as insignificant and false because of how young they had been. After the fact, they would talk and joke about it, but when they had aged enough to know what they wanted, they wondered what it could be like. It seemed cliche, but their relationship had its ups and downs, always. Some days the stresses of (name)'s classes would cause them to fight and even for her to break down. These things all took a toll on both of them, leaving John feeling helpless, seeing as he'd dropped out of his sophomore year of college.

Tonight had been different. When (name) had picked him up, she was being genuine when she asked what was going on between them. There had been a bit of awkward tension, where they had leaned close, with their noses touching ever so slightly, but it had been broken by the idea that nothing good could ever come from them being together. Of course it saddened both John and (name), because they were so close and so in love with the other's personality.

John laid in the bed next to her sleeping body when she had rolled over and began to cuddle his arm in her sleep. Her dream had caused her to roll closer, and ended up against his chest, with their faces inches apart.
John's breathing changed to ragged, unsteady, short breaths as he tried to figure out what to do. Her scent was faintly like vanilla, and his arms instinctively wrapped around her waist, holding her close protectively.
Her eyes flickered open then, and she looked up confusedly, but not angry. "John?" She asked in a drowsy voice.
"Yes, (name)?"
"Would you kiss me if I asked you nicely?"
"I'd kiss you even if you didn't ask nicely."
"Then... John, kiss me, please," she whispered, looking up into his features, trying to read his expression in the dawn light.

As he kissed her, her grip around him tightened slightly, and he held her closer.
After the fact, John smiled a little and whispered, "I know this might not end well, but the whole middle is going to be great. So, (name), do you think you'd be up for going out?"
A soft smile came over her face. "Hmm. Maybe," she said, jokingly.
"Well, what if I asked nicely?"
"I'd say yes even if you didn't," she replied, giggling a bit.