Peppermint: Snedger

"Kieran."

"What?"

"Why do you always smell like peppermint?"

"What do you mean?" He asked, lifting his sleeve up to his nose and taking a sniff. There was no scent he could pick up on, so he turned to the girl holding a cup of tea in her hand, across the living room.

She bit her lip to hold back a giggle, and looked at the confused expression on his face. He was holding her favorite book, something she'd recommended time and time again. Only recently had he taken her word for it, and picked up the book.

He enjoyed it, though it wasn't quite his cup of tea, so to speak. It was a romance novel, something he wasn't always fond of. He enjoyed action and crime-centric books, but the novel in his lap was fine. It had two characters that had such an intense chemistry that it was hard to describe.

"You smell like peppermint," she said, setting her teacup down and walking towards his couch seat.

"I don't know what you mean," he answered, looking at the back cover of the novel. "I didn't eat a mint, and I don't use peppermint toothpaste, so how could I smell like peppermint?"

She smiled and sat next to him, and looked down at the book in his lap. "How far have you gotten so far?"

"Wait, no," he glanced at the book and back up at her. "What do you mean, (name)? You can't just jump from one topic to another."

She looked at him again and refrained from laughing. "Stop being stubborn and just answer the question. How far are you in the book?"

Truth be told, he'd read the book twice over, for the sole reason being that it was recommended to him by (name). It wasn't his favorite, but that didn't mean that he hadn't finished it enough times to write an in-depth summary on all of the plotholes.

"I started yesterday."

'Rereading it,' he thought to himself. 'I finished it the day after you gave it to me.'

She huffed and looked away. "Really? C'mon Kieran, that's it? You love reading."

"I don't love trashy romance novels where the main character's love interest miraculously comes into her life and leaves her alone after three months, and then comes back after some stupid adventure. I don't like books that romanticize leaving someone behind," he gushed, tired of her pushing and shoving.

She was quiet for a minute, and he wasn't sure whether or not she was upset with him, or if she was just plumb angry.

"You did read it," she answered quietly.

He nodded slowly, hoping for the best. "A couple times, actually."

She nodded as well, and lifted her teacup up to her lips, without saying a single word.

"A-are you upset with me?" He asked, incredibly nervous about how she was acting.

"No," she answered, putting her teacup back on its dish. "Isn't it bullshit how she just takes him back after he has the affair?"

He resists the urge to crack a smile and looks at her. "And how he doesn't mention it, which further romanticizes the idea of infidelity?"

"I would want to know if my partner cheated on me, after leaving me alone with an unborn child."

"And she doesn't have the power to tell the people around her that she can't find someone else to love because her lover is off gallivanting in some foreign country?"

She smiled and looked at him. "I was hoping it would piss you off."

His eyebrows knit together, and his dark eyes locked with hers. "Why?"

She shrugged. "Because I like seeing you angry, and I like seeing you happy. I like seeing you rant and ramble about things that make you happy, and things that make you angry. Even if it's something I love—!"

"You do not love that book!" He interjected, sitting up a bit taller, knocking the novel in question out of his lap and onto the floor. "There's no fucking way anyone could possibly like that mess!"

She smiled, and continued, ignoring his words. "But that's okay! Because everyone has different opinions, even if yours are wrong—!"

"Wrong?! I don't even know where to start! (Name), the dog disappeared from the book in the middle! The one character that could've saved everything disappeared halfway! How could you love that?!"

She suppressed another smug smile as he played directly into her hands. Though he was upset, he'd gotten much closer to her, and the smell of peppermint was a bit stronger, though not overpoweringly so.

"It's a good book, Kieran. You just don't have enough culture to understand why it's a true masterpiece."

His eyes widened immensely, and his mouth dropped open. "Says the one that played Poptropica until she was nineteen!"

"What's that supposed to mean?!" She asked, getting angry herself.

He chuckled and looked away. "Nothing, nevermind."

"No!" She put her hands on the sides of his head and turned him back gently to face her. "Now you have to tell me."

"Or what?" He mused, scoffing.

She huffed, and kissed him softly. When they pulled apart, she was blushing fierce enough to start a fire. "Or, that."

He shrugged. "I don't think that was punishment enough."

She grumbled and let him go, her cheeks heating up hotter.

He smiled, watching her fold back into her box. "I thought it was cute that you got so flustered about me attacking your favorite trashbag of literature, and then I thought it was brave of you to kiss me." He reached forward and pulled her into his arms, hugging her gently enough that she could break free if she so desired, but not loosely enough that she would feel trapped.

"I like you a lot, (name). I have for a while, since college."

She snapped, and the sound echoed around the wide living room. "I got it!"

"Got what?" He asked, a little disappointed that she didn't seem to have listened to him.

"You smell like peppermint, I know why!"

"You do?" He asked; still disappointed. He was tempted to let her go and just pretend the whole ordeal hadn't happened.

"Yes! Your chapstick, it smells and tastes like peppermint!"

He blushed lightly and looked at the girl in his arms. "Mine?"

"I think so? Let me check again." She lifted her head up to kiss him a second time and he made sure that he held her tightly.

After a bit, they pulled away again, and she nodded definitively. "Definitely your chapstick."