Coward: Ohmwrecker

The gentle piano of the sad love song played through the surround sound speakers in the kitchen. He knew it was dumb, as he slowly waltzed through the living room and into the dining room by himself, but he didn't stop, because it was easing his mind some. His arms itched from the mosquitos that were indigenous to the South, but he really wished they would just leave him be, especially in his own house. Albeit, rented, but he had it all to himself. He came to North Carolina to visit Luke, but all he had seen so far was the ceiling of his room, and the bumps on his arms.

The ringtone for Luke was his YouTube outro, and it overtook the speakers as it went through the kitchen and most of the house. "Yes?" Ryan answered, speaking in a gentle voice.

"Yo, Ohm," the southern boy's voice drawled, using his nickname. "It's almost time for the grand tour of my town, but you gotta make sure you're wearin' shorts and a tee."

"Yeah, alright, you got it." The other phone line clicked, and Ryan could tell that he'd hung up. He didn't have much to do, as he was already in shorts and a t-shirt, but it was hot, so he cranked the measly air conditioner an extra two settings up. Only a little bit of cold air sputtered out of the old box, and he sighed, standing directly in front of it. "This blows." He thought for a second. "Well, not much," he mumbled through a chuckle, and held his hand over the weak box.

A quiet tap on his door came seemingly out of nowhere, since it had been absolutely silent all day, besides the loud, bass-boosted sad music streaming from the modern speakers. He pulled one of his slip-on sneakers over his thin sock, and hopped on one foot towards the door, almost tipping over, trying to put on the other. "Hold o— oof!" He yelped, crashing to the floor. Ryan stood up and sighed, walking softly over to the door and opened it. "Hi, I'm so sorry, I—"

He cut himself off when he finally looked at the person in the doorway and sucked in a breath of nervousness. "H-hi! Um, can I help you?"

The tall-ish girl in front of him smiled anxiously and waved a bit. "Hello! I was just wondering if the car out front is yours?"

"Yes, the blue one?"

"That's the one."

"What of it?" He asked, tilting his head a little and scratching the back of his neck.

She smiled sheepishly again. "There's a no-parking policy in front of the building, and I didn't want someone to get towed, so I've been going door to door..." She seemed so shy, but she was being really kind by trying to save someone a trip to the impound.

He smiled brightly, after a few seconds of realization and working on comprehending her statement. "Oh! Oh, okay, alright, thank you so much!"

She smiled and turned to begin leaving, but he reached out and grabbed her arm. "Hey, can I— erm, nevermind. Thank you again!"

With his hand still on her arm, she turned around again and smiled a bit more nervously. "Of course, just... trying to be a good neighbor. You don't sound like you're from around here," she said, tipping her head slightly to the right.

"I'm not, exactly. I'm here visiting a friend, Luke?"

She smiled. "Oh! Luke! He stops by sometimes at the animal clinic I work at, and helps us take care of feeding the puppies and whatnot. What a sweetheart." She practically glowed by the time she was done, grinning and rosy-cheeked.

Ryan smiled. "Wow, he sounds great in person! He's coming to pick me up today to take me on a tour of the town, and then we're going to hang out."

She smiled and held out her hand. "I hope you have a lovely time, and I hope to see you around again! My name's (name)!"

"And mine is Ryan," he said, reaching out to grab her hand. "Thanks for the car help, (name), it was very kind of you!"

She nodded and wrote something on a piece of paper to give to him. "If you do end up getting towed, call me, Ryan, and I'll help you out." A bright grin lit up her face, and she skipped away as Ryan left the rented house to move his car.

He watched her skip back to her little white car, and as she climbed in, he waved. "Bye!"

Ohm had no idea why he did what he did, but he felt like he owed it to the beautiful girl with the perfect, sparkly eyes. Shaking his head and chuckling, he turned the key in the ignition to move his car.

Once the car was in a legal parking spot, he climbed out and realized that he now had to walk up a dusty dirt road to get back to the place he was staying. After letting out a quick sigh, he got out of the car and started walking. Unfortunately, he had decided to wear flip-flops to park the car, but luckily, the walk wasn't as far as it seemed.

"She..." He pulled the slip of paper out of his pocket and began reading off numbers. "Six... One... Zero..." His phone beeped with every new number, and accidentally, his thumb bumped the 'call' button. "Oh no."

She picked up almost immediately. "Hi! Ryan, wasn't it?"

"Y-yes, it's Ryan. Sorry, I didn't mean to call you so soon, I was just trying to put the number in—"

"No, no, no, it's alright! I'm glad you called me, actually, because I wanted to make sure that you parked your car into the right spot!"

"There's— there's a right spot?"

"Oh, shoot, no, of course not. I was just kidding!"

He let out a short, nervous chuckle, which barely matched her bubbly giggle.

"Well, I ought to let you go, Ryan, because you have your big boy play date soon, don't you?"

"Oh, yeah, I suppose I do. I just wanted to thank you so much for everything you did for me today, (name)." A smile was on his smile, no matter how awkward or silly the conversation seemed.

"Of course, dear. Now, if there's anything you need, let me know."

"Sure, I'll talk to you later, (name)."

They hung up soon after, and a honk came from outside the complex. Ryan pulled the curtains aside and looked out too see a black car, with Luke inside.

He rushed out, waving his arms. "Hey!"

"Hi there! How are you, Ohm?" Luke asked, in his accent.

"I'm well, thank you for asking! What do we have planned today?"

"Not much, just going around the town and to the little lake I like to go to. Oh, by the way, I heard you got a visit from (name)."

"Wh— what?" His face was already flushed, and a slight smirk was present. "How did you know that?"

"She told me, that you have a very nice smile, and that she likes your accent." Luke's smile was obvious, and he made no attempt to hide it. "Do you have anything to say about her?"

His blush became darker, and his words were flushed together. "Wh— no, no, but she... She's very nice."

"That's it?"

"No, of course not, but—"

"Ohm, just ask her out already."

"What—?!"

Luke's chuckle resonated through the car as they drove down a slight country road.