4

It had been a full month into the school year, the small encounter has haunted Tobias everyday. How one man could be so cruel was beyond him, he had not slept, eaten or taken care of himself properly in that short time period. Everyone had noticed his sudden change in personality, he became very quiet and reserved. One person in particular who was very displeased with his action switch, was of course his Godfather Professor Snape. Every chance he had the man tried to reach out to the boy, to his failure the child always ran away. He had decreased in body weight and his performances in Quidditch faltered, he nearly passed out during one game. It had gotten to the point where even Lockhart showed some concern, Tobias just pushed out everyone who tried to ask.

He had gone through his lessons today and was on his way to Professor Snapes office, he would rather not go there but the man had increased in intelligence and swallowed his pride. For the first time in ten years, he turned around and gave a Slytherin student detention, Tobias had not done work in every lesson he has had. So Severus Snape took this as an opportunity, to gain time in private and talk to his Godson. He walked in, sat down and looked at the buttons on Snapes robes. He awaited a task, but that task never came. He slammed the door shut, locked all entrances and exits so now it remained him and Tobias. He strode over, not in his Professor walk, but in a almost fatherly way- Tobias looked up and met black eyes filled with concern.

'What has happened?' He didn't sit opposite Tobias, he said next to him. Creating little space as possible.
'Nothing.' Tobias lied. He had gotten good at that.
'Truthfully, what is the problem?' Severus was not quitting anytime soon, Tobias knew that.
'Lucius came in to see me.' Tobias had no clue how to say what Lucius asked of him.
'I am aware, I would have assumed it would be to apologise. Wouldn't want to harm the other chosen one.' This made Tobias groan, he could have used his minister status as blackmail.
'No. Not exactly and apology, more of a threat.' Tobias murmured, Snape heard this however.
'Saying.' Severus was angry.
'That unless I joined the Dark Lord when I am sixteen with Draco, I won't ever see him again. He went on saying about how he would be pulled out and homeschooled. He said if I agreed then we could start dating again and Draco would be fine.' Tobias rushed it all out, sadly for him this man had hearing like a hawk.
'What did you say?' Tobias knew that Severus was aware of the answer.
'I said yes, I even...'
'You even...' He pressed on. Tobias swallowed hard, and croaked it out.
'I made the unbreakable vow with him.' Tobias broke, everything in this month had worn him down. He snapped.
'Tobias-
- I'm sorry.' He was pulled into the taller mans lap and he cried.

He sat and cried, he did so until he was emotionally drained. Draco didn't know, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Seamus, Dean. The only one who did, was Myrtle. Now Severus Snape, he had held this in for so long. He knew if he had to tell someone, it would be the man he was sitting on right now. Tonks!

'Oh my Merlin, what will mum think?' Tobias pulled away, another sudden change in mood.
'She won't, we don't have to tell her.'
'She'll notice, my weight, my skin, it'll take time to fix.' He tried to push Severus away again, but he had a hold of him now, so he wasn't letting go.
'She won't see you.'
'Why won't she?' Exclaimed Tobias.
'Because I've adopted you permanently.' Severus spoke so softly Tobias thought he heard wrong.
'Permanently?'
'Permanently.' Tobias smiled, for the first time in months, a smile graced his face.
'Thank you.' Tobias fell into his chest and felt at peace knowing he had support.
'I'll train you in your powers, the one to read minds. As well as the opposite, Occlumency, the power to repel someone from reading your thoughts. You'll need to practice a Patronus charm.' With a vast knowledge on advanced magic, he went on with forms of protection for Tobias.

He pulled out textbooks, from all the subjects he takes at school, those he will go on to study. All of which was advanced, far beyond knowledge that even some of the teachers will be aware of. Tobias watched the numbers of books pile higher and higher and higher. He took one before the pile got to high.

The Art of Occlumency

For one to be able to resistance the mind, must have a keen one of their own. An awake, aware and always prepared.

Tobias shut the book after skipping the introduction, the mass amount of text would be something to haunt his nightmares. With a final apparition book the Potions Professor sat down, he knew a lecture was coming or some form of advice.

'Does anyone else know?' He made his voice soft, Tobias may be twelve but he didn't need to be treated like such a baby.
'Myrtle, we are close friends. Then no, no one after that apart from you.' Tobias was done lying to this man, he only wanted to help.
'Myrtle, the ghost in the toilets.' He needed clarification.
'Yes. What's the problem with that?' Tobias enquired.
'Nothing, you are just so like your mother.' Severus smiled, which the boy shared and they began working on Occlumency.

This was to take some time, it was advanced magic that not even almost adults have mastered. Severus was patient with the boy, something that he wasn't with others.

'Will you tell Draco?' Severus asked mid break, Tobias was panting but managed through breaths.
'No, he shouldn't worry. Not until he is older.' Tobias downed water, this exercise was tiring.
'Fair point, going to get back into a relationship with him. I honestly thought you two quiet- well cute together.' He said, embarrassed by such a silly word.
'Oh. Definitely.' Tobias laughed and smiled, he would get four years of happiness from this. Something good was coming from this.

They finished the lesson and Tobias went straight to Draco, who he woke up and immediately kissed.

'What was that for? I thought you wanted to wait.' Draco smiled through the grogginess.
'I did want to wait, and I have. Months.' Tobias kissed him again, he had missed this.
'What about my father?'
'I spoke to him, he said it is fine. It resulted in him being associated with a Potter, which is good for his ministry status.' Tobias cuddled into Draco's side, who shrugged and fell back asleep.

Lying to Draco will be the hardest part of these upcoming years.