🔍TWO🔎

"And so after that, I just kept on running and thankfully I made it out safely. But my mind was not changed. I still wanted to be a detective. I just needed to be a lot more careful about who I was investigating. I didn't have the gun or the badge to back me up then."

Zayn smiled admiringly at him. "Yeah. The badge is a good thing."

Harry wiped his hands on a napkin and leaned across the table to look at Zayn. "So... About you."

"Me?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I didn't know I wanted to be a detective. Not that early in life. I just sort of coasted along until I came to this when I was in high school."

Harry shook his head. "That's not what I'm talking about."

"What were you talking about then?"

"Me and you, obviously. When are you going to say yes?"

Zayn pulled his arms closer to his body. "Harry..."

"What?"

"Why do you keep trying?"

He sat back with a shrug. "Because you keep being attractive."

Zayn scoffed but Harry wouldn't let that deter him at all. They'd been partners for five months now and he'd been trying to talk to Zayn outside of the professional atmosphere for two and a half months of those. He could see that Zayn was stubborn. It was in the way he acted around him and even conversed with Harry. Zayn probably thought he was doing a really good job hiding but Harry could tell that there was something there. He just needed to get him in a relaxed environment so he could find out what he was really thinking.

Obviously unknown to Harry, Zayn was a little curious. He knew he never told Harry he was ever in a relationship with another man. So how was it that Harry still flirted with him without fearing there would ever be any backlash or homophobia? Maybe it was the way he carried himself. Or maybe he just didn't care at all who Zayn was into. Either way, he didn't understand it at all.

And not to say that his confusion meant he wasn't attracted to Harry. Part of him was attracted to him even if that may have only come because he knew he was getting attention from him. But not knowing the way Harry figured it out made him a little bit worried because he wondered if Harry knew about Louis and knew that they had now been separated for seven and a half months.

"Well, I think you should stop looking for me to say yes because it might not ever happen."

"You think so?"

"I do."

"Well for the record, no man or woman has ever been able to resist these charms."

He frowned. "So what are you saying then? That I'm next?"

"Your words. Not mine."

Zayn reached for his can of cola and took a large gulp of it. "Sure, buddy."

"I'm making you nervous?"

"No."

"You're sure? Because if not, we can end this all here if you agree to go on a date with me. We could go to dinner and if we don't think we'll work, we'll go on vacation, come back and act like nothing ever happened."

Zayn shook his head but he was very intrigued by his offer. Harry didn't seem like the type to want to go out to dinner first. He seemed like the type to want to take him to bed and then worry about dinner later.

"And what if it doesn't work? I still have to work alongside you and I'm not sure how that would be for us or our friendship. And if it does, that may not be good for a professional relationship."