🔍TEN🔎

Zayn had just finished making a cup of coffee when he heard the front door unlock and open. He knew it was Louis so he met him halfway.

"Hey. I didn't expect you to be gone when I got back." He said when he noticed Louis carrying in bags of grocery.

"Yeah. I didn't think you'd be home till later so I didn't bother calling you since I was only running out to the store and then coming right back."

Zayn followed him to the kitchen. "Oh yeah. Well, you weren't wrong. I just got home about seven minutes ago. Just finished making coffee."

"Yeah, I see."

"Need any help carrying anymore groceries in?"

"Nope. This is all."

"Well I can at least go lock the front door behind you."

"Sure."

Zayn locked the door and when he finished, he went to the living room, kicked off his shoes and sat down on the couch so he could drink his coffee and begin to wind down for the night. But after a few minutes of drinking and staring into space, he noticed Louis peeking around the corner at him. He chuckled.

"Are you all right, babe?"

Louis lowered his head and then he went away. Another couple minutes went by and again, Zayn saw him peeking into the living room. He sat up and put his mug of coffee down on the table.

"Lou, I can see you peeking around the corner at me. What are you doing?"

This time Louis slowly came from behind the wall. When Zayn saw his face and how downhearted he appeared to be, worry came over his own face.

"Lou... Are you okay?"

He finally walked all the way in and sat down on the couch next to him. "We need to talk."

Those words made Zayn scared. Usually when someone said something like that, something bad followed. And of course with the way they had been fighting and distancing themselves lately, he for sure had reason to worry.

"Um, yeah. Sure, we can talk. What do you want to talk about?"

He sighed. "Listen, before you get upset at me, I just want you to know that this is something I've been thinking about for a couple of months now so this is not a spur-of-the-moment decision on my part."

"Okay." He said skeptically.

"I just don't think it's going to work."

He felt his heart drop to his knees. "What do you mean?"

"I mean you and me... We've been trying to work it out but you and I both know nothing has changed. We're trying but... I don't think it's meant to be. I don't think me and you are as meant to be like we thought we were when we were sixteen. So that only really leaves us with one option now."

Zayn shook his head. "Louis, no. Please don't say it."

"I am going to say it."

"Don't..."

"I want a divorce, Zayn."

He let out of breath of annoyance and looked up at the ceiling. It was quiet.

"Respond. Please."

"What do you want me to say, Lou? My husband doesn't want to be with me anymore. How am I supposed to respond to that?"