🔍ELEVEN🔎

"What's wrong?" Zayn questioned as he watched Harry stand back against the wall of the break room with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Ah. Nothing. Just thinking. I got a text from the chief this morning."

"You did?"

"Yeah. He wants to see me in his office at eight forty five. So in about three minutes."

Zayn pointed to himself. "Me too."

"You too?"

"Yeah. I got the same text."

They stilled.

"Well... Why do you think he sent the same text message to both of us?" Harry asked.

"I don't know. We can't be in trouble for anything though. We didn't do anything wrong."

"Right. Then again, we may not even be the only two who got the message. This may just be a little meeting in his office."

Zayn chewed his thumbnail. "I want to agree but I'm not sure. What if we are the only two?"

"Then my guess is that it's about one of our recent cases. Maybe he's got some information for us on Niall Horan's case or the young girl who was shot in the home invasion. We could use some info on both."

"Maybe so. Let's hope that's what it is because I really do hate being reprimanded by the chief."

"Me too."

They stood around and drank their coffee for a few more minutes and then afterwards, made their way to Chief Payne's office. As they walked through the hallways and passed officers and other detectives, Zayn couldn't help but be so anxious. Getting summoned to the chief's office didn't always mean bad things but it didn't always mean good things either. As if he didn't have enough things to worry about, he didn't want the way he did his job to be one of them.

Harry was the one to knock on the open office door. When Chief Payne saw them, he waved them in.

"Hi, there. Close the door behind you and have a seat."

They did just so and Zayn felt like his heart would beat right through his rib cage.

"How are you two doing this morning?"

"Ahm... fine." Harry answered.

"Me too. I think I'm okay."

"Did you get coffee before you came in?"

"I did."

"Yes. I did."

"Good."

He sat up, put his elbows on the table and shot them both a smile. But Zayn hated it. He just wanted him to get straight to the point and tell them why he called them here.

"So I bet you're wondering why you're both here."

They nodded.

"Well I have some news for you that I think you might like."

"Is it about the case?"

"Um... Indirectly, I think."

Harry and Zayn looked between each other before looking back at him. "What do you mean?"

"Well, a week ago, I received word that our oldest detective, Clive Moore, is finally retiring so he can be with his wife. Then just yesterday, Andy Burns also gave word that his last day on the force will be two weeks from now. That leaves Andy and Clive's partners without a partner. I figured I would tell you both this since you seem to really want to work with someone new. One of you could take Rodger, Andy's partner, and the other can have Clive's partner, Tina."