Chapter 3 - Play the Game

Saturday, 3rd May, 1986

Shaw Theatre, London

Rehearsals for the tour has started and Queen booked Shaw Theatre again, as they did almost a year prior for Live Aid. We were about to stay here for a month, then everything were supposed to move to a bigger building somewhere in the Wembley-complex in the beginning of June, where all the lightning and pyrotechnics, so basically everything for the tour will be precisely rehearsed.

But here in Shaw only the band was rehearsing with a really small crew, reduced only of Ratty and Crystal. It was here and this day when I met these two guys, alongside with Spike Edney who joined the band as a fifth gear on keyboards, vocals and guitars.

Jim asked me to join the rehearsals from the very first moment, so all of us can get used to each other quickly and it was really important. I had to catch up everything about the boys pretty quickly, because I was the only newly joined member of the crew. All the others were working together for ages now.

I was really nervous when I arrived to the venue and it became worse only in a second, because a big guy stood in the entrance - seemingly a security guard not to allow anyone unauthorised inside. I have to tell you, this guy was so big I've never seen anyone in my life before and though I'm not that short-girl with my 5'8"height, he was looking down at me like I was a small child. But I gathered my courage, sent him a huge smile and tried to get him around in order to open the door, but he blocked my way:

-No entrance here, Miss.

-Oh, I'm sorry, then where could I get inside?

-Nowhere. -  the guy was looking at me strictly and I started to feel pretty uncomfortable, but kept on smiling:

-I'm afraid there's a misunderstanding, I work here. I mean not here, but for the Production.

-Passes needed. - Gosh, it's the only way he can answer?

-Passes? - I looked at him confused.

-If you work for the Production, you must have your pass, then you can go inside. - finally the longest sentence he could screw out of himself.

-But I don't have a pass, I've been just hired...could you please call Mr Jim Beach, he will verify.

-I can't leave my place.

-Then how the fuck could I get inside?

-Show your pass.

"Perfect"I thought. If this all is starting like this, what could I wait for the rest? It took me a good 5 minutes till I could convince the guy to go inside and speak to Jim, but I had to promise I'll stay outside "Anyway Security Cameras are on and you'll be thrown out in a second". But finally Jim showed up in the hall and hurried to the door:

-Livy, so good you arrived.

-I did, but was not let in. - I looked at the security guy following Jim and taking his place immediately outside by the door.

-It's okay, he's just doing his job. And you're pretty good in it, Bob. -Jim smiled at the security guy and shook his hand.

-My pleasure, sir. - he smiled back.

-He was talking about some passes I need to show. - I looked at Jim as we walked through the hall to enter the venue itself.

-Yes, the passes, I completely forgot. Come. - he lead me down between the seats till the first row, where a couple men and Mary and Gerry were already sitting.

-Hello, Gerry. - I greeted him.

-Hello, Livy, you finally arrived. - he smiled back at me.

-Yeah, I had some problems with getting inside.