Chapter 8 - Breakthru

Thursday, 12th June, 1986

Leiden, Netherlands

-How much time? - Freddie asked nervously when I entered the dressing room. Though they've done hundreds of gigs during their career, I noticed surprised the boys were still nervous before showtime. It's all gone when they step on stage, but before, it was always stressful.

-Thirty minutes, Freddie. - I answered. I just collected some make-up stuff from the desk to put them back where they belong, so Freddie can find them.

-Are we completely sold out tonight too, aren't we? - he continued.

-Sure. I just went to check, it's full house. And as much as I heard, a lot of people still couldn't get a ticket and waiting outside.

-What's the sound like, has that buzzing sound from the stage monitors gone? - Freddie asked and I sighed loudly as I stepped behind John to help him with a little massage on his shoulders. Last night, on the first gig in Leiden they were all complaining about that sound which bothered them all during show.

Brian was sitting there in silence, warming up his hand and fingers on his guitar and so did Roger with his drumsticks sitting behind me.

-Yeah, Mike just confirmed me it's okay. They've been working on it all day. - I answered.

-I can't do it! I simply can't go on! It's no good - the show will just have to be cancelled! - Freddie blurted out exactly in that moment when Ratty entered the dressing room. Everyone froze and stared at Freddie in amazement, who was standing there waving his arm theatrically:

-I'm telling you, I can't do this show, my voice is fucked! I'm fucked!

I looked at Jim worryingly, who was also as nervous as we all.

-But Freddie... - that's all he was able to say. He still remembered well the Mexico-fiasco and never ever wanted to relive and go through that situation again. No wonder about it. If Freddie resists going onstage tonight, we'll all be in serious trouble. Any of the world's best lawyers can't pull us out of the shit then. Or it'll cost a seven-digit amount, like in Mexico.

I sighed and stepped to him and put my hand on his shoulders:

-Freddie darling, listen to me now. A lot of people are waiting for you outside, they've been waiting a long time and paid good money to see you perform tonight. You don't want to let them down or to disappoint them, do you?

Freddie looked at me and shook his head thoughtfully as a no. After a moment of silence he just blurted out:

-Give me a drink and a cigarette!

Ratty already moved and gave him what he asked for and I stepped back behind John to continue what I've started. Roger stood up behind me:

-Nice job, Lyv! - he whispered in my ear.

I looked back to him and nodded, but suddenly I felt something strange. The room started to rotate before my eyes and I suddenly felt like I'm completely drunk, though I haven't drank any alcohol. I already knew what's going on, it happened to me before. Though a lot of time ago, but it did. I started to reach out my hand to John's shoulder, but the next moment the darkness came suddenly and inevitably.

-What the hell! - Roger shouted out as I collapsed backwards almost onto him. He could catch me in the last moment before I hit my head to the chair he was sitting on before. The same moment John turned around - he didn't feel my tap, I couldn't reach him, only heard Roger's voice.