Chapter 7

I didn't have a lot of respect for guys, because every one I met fell into the same category. Egotistical. But I fell out of my chair in History when a text came across from none other than Graham that changed my whole perspective...at least on him.

"What are you doing on the floor, Ms. Baker?" My history teacher questioned. He stared at me quizzically through his thick rimmed glasses.

"Exploring the effects of the human ass when it bangs against hard woods."

"And what is your conclusion thus far?

"The bigger it is, the more it bruises."

"If this is the case, then you need not worry," he smiled.

I didn't know which was more insulting. The fact that my teacher didn't think my butt was big, or the fact that he glanced at it before saying so.

I climbed back up in my seat and checked my phone once more to make sure I had read it correctly.

I'm sorry. City cafe after school? -Graham.

He was sorry? Really and truly? I found it hard to believe, yet there it was, forever archived on my phone. It didn't mean I forgave him, but it helped me create a new category that men had the potential to fall into.

SSS

That category meant guys who I thought suffered from Special Snowflake Syndrome. It is a person who believes they are different and unique from everyone because of something they are or do. In this case, apologizing.

Graham was a special snowflake because he apologized to me and thinks that will win me back.

He was about to be best friends with the florist in town. Not too good of friends, because she was attractive, but, let's say, a first name basis.

Later that day, I found myself not heading towards the forest for my usual after school run, but rather getting in the car and on my way to City Cafe. Again, it wasn't because I forgave him, but I was curious to hear him out. And...unfortunately...I really did need help in Chemistry. Graham was, in secret, the best chemist in the grade, but I was never supposed to tell anyone that.

I pulled into my normal spot in the parking lot, right next to his Infinity.

Out of sudden curiosity, I peered inside, and it looked just the same. A couple of my unfinished water bottles littered the floor. Four of my hair ties were wrapped around his gear in case I needed one. And my favorite CD was lying across the dashboard in case I ever wanted to pop it in and listen to it even though he despised country music.

I slowly made way to the front. Feeling utterly stupid, I began to wonder how I didn't see the signs sooner. He truly did everything for me. He doted on me unlike anyone I had ever met and gave me the attention I craved because my parents were never home. He was my guardian.

But being my air headed self, I didn't see any of that. I only saw a hot yet unattainable best friend who would be there for me. I guess I never allowed myself to see further in fear I would scare him away and lose him. Now it seemed the tables had turned, even after I had gotten everything I had wanted.

I took a deep breath as I stared at my reflection in the glass doors of the City Cafe. I fixed myself with a stern look. I was still the one in control of this situation. He was the one that messed up and chased me off. I wasn't the one to do the groveling. He was. Not me.

I pulled open the door, and a gust of air conditioning blew down on me. I scowled and patted down my hair. The waitress at the stand in front of me laughed. "Hello Alexa.