Chapter 28

I clawed desperately at the hands that were slowly dragging me deeper and deeper into the shadows. "Let me go," I demanded furiously. "I took karate when I was eight."

"Shh," the voice chuckled.

This response only made me fight harder. I was thrashing against the person, who seemed to find the whole situation funnier and funnier the longer it went on. But they kept tight to me the whole time regardless.

Well, that was until my leg was finally able to strike something that was a little more precious than I was at that moment.

"Son-of-a-Baylor-bastard," the person swore and cried out in pain.

They released me so they could crumple to the ground, and I quickly scrambled to the farthest corner away from them as possible before I even considered looking back to see who it was. I bent over, slightly out of breath.

"Aren't you supposed to be a runner?" The voice chuckled weakly.

I spun around. "I'll have you know that-"

The words got caught on the tip of my tongue mid-sentence. There, still grimacing in slight pain, was Blake, dressed comfortably yet heavenly in his grass stained jersey and a pair of athletic shorts. I looked him up and down. No pads, no protection, and yet his shoulders could not have looked more broad, and his waist couldn't have looked more tiny.

I didn't think twice when the urge to touch him came. I sprinted forward, right into his arms. He laughed at this sudden affection, but I ignored it and wrapped my hands tightly around him. "What are you doing here?" I grinned.

"Is that even a question? I'm here to see you, Alexa."

After a solid one minute, I decided that I hadn't shaved close enough for him to be holding onto me this long, so I got down from his arms.

"But...how? We're probably only at half time. You're the quarterback of your own team. How are you even here?"

Blake flexed. "Because I am the greatest quarterback ever, and the other team's coach cried out for mercy."

"Shut up. What really happened?"

"The referee begged for mercy."

"Ah, that makes more sense."

I hugged him tightly again, which he all too happily accepted.

I didn't know why I was acting as though we were hopelessly in love and I hadn't seen him in months. We had only made up four days ago. But, yet, I felt compelled to at least hug him.

"Even though your entrance was a little unnecessary, I'm still glad you're here," I mumbled. "Maddie and McKenzie cornered me again."

Blake sighed. "Was it about us?"

"It was even worse than that high school career blackmail thing they've been trying to pull on me," I muttered. "They started badmouthing you."

Blake frowned. "You shut them down, right?"

"I stormed out. From the word go, they had been ripping into anything to do with me, and...I'm just done with them and how entitled they think they are to give their opinion about everything to everyone whether anyone asked for it or not."

Blake noticed how tightly clenched my hands had become when saying those words. "Do you wanna get something to eat before you go back out there?" He suggested. "I'll pay for anything you'd like."

Best almost boyfriend ever.

I nodded. "A red Gatorade sounds really good right now."

He took my hand and gently pried it open so he could replace it. I laughed at this.