Chapter 34

Sunday had not been as eventful as Friday nor Saturday. It mostly consisted of me tending to the wounded while the others packed and cleaned up the campsite.

Even though I got to see the injuries because I was an 'honorary nurse', they refused to tell me about any of the traps set for them. I could tell they were bad by the distant look in their eyes. But, it was just hard for me to imagine that they could be 'scarring' when the boys had to use whatever they found in the house as their materials for their punishing pranks.

Because I stayed late to help the seniors, Graham was already asleep when I had returned to the tent, so thankfully I was able to avoid another confrontation. And the bus was coming pretty early the next morning, so Graham and I didn't have time to stop and speak while we were putting up the tent. The only words we exchanged were 'That is not where the pole goes' in a really strained voice.

As I got ready for school the next day, I was very happy to be done with that camping trip. It was full of way too many feelings and an atmosphere being choked by aloha vibes and testosterone.

"Seth, let's go!"

No reply.

I slowly put down my hairbrush. That wasn't good. I got up from my desk and slowly crept out of my room and to Seth's door. It was quiet. Way too quiet for everyone in my family to be home.

I knock. "Seth?"

Oh God, the last time he didn't respond, he was unconscious and beaten an inch from death. With this thought, I quickly pulled on the handle, but it didn't budge. It was locked.

"Seth!" I said louder. "We need to leave for school? Are you awake?"

I bolted to my room for the spare key that unlocked all of our doors. I had just jammed it into the lock when I heard, "I'm skipping. Go away."

"Seth, if you skip then you can't go to practice. You are aware your Homecoming Game is this Friday against Brentwood?"

"Rgrgdgf."

"Seth!" I whined. "C'mon. You are supposed to drive me to school."

"My stomach hurts too bad," he growled. "I'm coming late."

"But what about me?" No answer. Unbelievable. I pounded on the door. "Don't forget who was the one that had to bandage your bloodied knuckles and hide it from mom and dad."

Another moment of silence which made me curse Seth's name. I had an English test today. There was no way I could miss the test, because the teacher would give a harder version to the people who missed. I was struggling enough as it was.

Right as I was about to barge into his room anyways, Seth grunted. "You're ride will be here in five minutes."

I eyed the door suspiciously. Slowly, I asked, "And who would that be?"

"Gah."

And that was the last sound I would get out of him for the rest of the day.

I reluctantly returned to my room and began to gather my stuff. Seth had a lot of friends. Some were super cool, like the guys on the football team or the girls in his friend group, but then he also had some acquaintances that were a little more shady. Surely, he was a better big brother than that to stick me in a car with one his druggie friends.