Chapter 38

Blake embraced me, and then pulled back just enough to take hold of my mouth with only love behind his lips. He held me gently but firmly by the butt to make sure the only place I would be was here, with him. It wasn't like I was complaining though. By the way he was loving me, he could keep me there on the football field all night.

Behind me we heard applauses and coos of approval. It brought me back to reality just enough to realize that I couldn't stay here all night. Not yet, anyways.

I smiled, which made Blake smile back, and, slowly, we pulled apart. But, even apart, his eyes still lingered on me, and there was nothing but adoration behind them.

"Yay!" A voice squealed.

I squinted to see who the owner of the voice was. And then, my bruised mouth had almost fallen down.

Fake Tan, Platinum Hair, and Small-Chest approached me with smiles as fake as their names. "Alexa!" Fake Tan squealed. "Oh em gee this is so exciting. You and Blake? We're so excited for you! I'm sure you can tell."

My grip tightened on Blake's hand from iron to diamond. I saw his eyes bulge and he looked at me from his conversation with a teammate. His face looked pained. "What?" He managed.

I loosened my grip. "Look who's here."

Translation: save me.

My answer? His signature smile that made it look like he was in perfect control. It hid his utter stupidity and ignorance to the female double meaning very well.

"Hey guys," Blake greeted. "I'm glad you all came. Seriously. Thanks for putting together the signs on such short notice."

I almost choked. All four of them turned to me after that, and I could all buy try and play it off. "Thank you," I managed with a weak smile. "That's so...sweet."

"Of course," Small-Chest smiled with a sugary voice. "It was the least we could do! And now that you're Blake's girlfriend, we're going to be best friends!" She held out a perfectly manicured hand, with French tips. "I'm Isabelle. But don't ever call me that. It's Iz."

"Uh," I said as I stupidly shook her hand. "I'm Alexa."

She laughed. But not a flirtatious laugh. Not even close. You know that one person in the class with a normal voice and then when they laugh and it's like a siren going off? It was like that, but way faker.

Platinum Hair was next. She tossed back her locks before getting all up in my personal space to hug me. I went rigid. Her platinum dye could have gotten all over me. "I'm Haley," she gushed. "It's so nice to meet you 'sis."

I coughed. "Sis?"

"Of course," she beamed on full bright. "We have a very close group, so we consider ourself sisters. Now you're one of us!"

"Oh. Yay?"

She giggled to the pain of my spinning head. "You're hilarious. Seriously, Chevy. I love you already."

My fake smile fell. I flinched with disgust at yet another fail of a nickname. "Chevy?" I repeated.

Fake Tan stepped forward. Unlike the others, she was not coming at me with best friendship in the forefront of her mind. It made me take one step back, almost knocking Blake over. "We give all of our sisters nicknames," she explained, eyes colder than the blue gloss on her lips. "You're Chevy because Lexis is a car name and Chevy is another car name."

"But that's my least favorite car brand," I frowned.

"Too bad," she shrugged. "I'm Georgia. Don't forget it."