Chapter 10

My dad poked his head through my bed room door. His eyes were glaring holes through my curls. "That...kid is here," he scowled.

He was still bitter about my date. Actually, he was more furious than bitter. And also suspicious. My dad was so suspicious, in fact, that he took the night off to make sure Blake didn't come inside and that I actually came home. One would think this was extreme, but I had expected my father to throw up all of his Baylor decorations so Blake would see it when he pulled up. He hadn't, but only because I had hidden them all under my bed.

I applied one more layer of gloss. I did a once over of myself to make sure nothing looked too out of the ordinary, before turning and making my way to the door.

"That romper looks a little short," my dad grumbled.

I shrugged. "You don't know the half of what I went through to get it, so perhaps I should pull it up a little more to make sure it's doing its jobs."

"Camel toes are not attractive," he snorted.

I began my descent down the stairs. "Neither are unkept beards. You are turning into a grumpy old man on the inside and out."

At the bottom of the stairs, Seth was waiting with his hands crossed strictly on his chest. He looked at me with blatant disapproval. "Where are you even going?" He scowled.

"Why I don't believe it is any of your business."

And I still didn't actually know where.

"It is if I'm paying for it."

I smirked and held my hand out. "We accept deposits."

He slapped a hundred dollar bill into my palm. "I'm gonna kill the son of a bitch if that doesn't get you through the evening."

I snorted. "I'm sure this will be fine for food, but lucky you it won't even cover my swimwear bill."

"What? Who said anything about bathing suits and swimming?" Seth demanded.

My eyes widened. Probably was not supposed to mention that to anyone. "No one," I assured him. "I bought it for a party I'm going to next week."

He didn't buy it. "If you so much as take off your shoes in front of him, he might as well consider himself a dead man."

I angrily poked his chest. "If you keep threatening my date, I will not hesitate to drop some enlightening words in Taylor's ear. Uncensored. Am I clear?"

"Stupid manipulating sister," he spat and marched upstairs, unwilling to see me off anymore.

I looked at dad menacingly. "The same goes for you. One word to Blake without my knowledge and my hand's gonna accidentally slip and press mom's contact on speed dial. I'd hate for her to here about your complaints about the clothes she spent two days buying for you."

He glared at me. "Stupid manipulating daughter.  Why aren't you gone already?"

"Because I've had to make sure you two are going to get yourself arrested because you don't like the thought of me enjoying myself on a date, selfish bastards."

"Your mother otta hear your mouth," he muttered.

I turned around and marched out the door. I breathed a heavy sigh. This night better be worth all the crap I was being put through to get to it.