Let's Play a Game (9)

“I’ve been scarred for life,” Ethan groaned once Johnny, Riley, and Sadie had driven away. “I think I need to go burn my eyes now.”

I rolled my eyes at him, patting him on the head before walking right by him and into the house. I was so elated that I wasn't even going to act bothered by what he was saying.

“I must say, I saw that coming,” Zach sighed, both him and Ethan following me inside. “Those two have made googly eyes at each other all year.”

I turned to scowl at the older Deveraux brother. “That is not true!”

He only smirked at me. “Whatever you say, babe.”

Ethan looked at his brother and then at me in disgust. “Don't tell me you two are hooking up, too!”

“You shouldn't know what that means!” I nearly shouted now. “You're ten-years-old!”

The younger boy stuck his tongue out at me. “I'll be turning eleven in a couple of months.”

“That doesn't make a difference!”

“I still don't understand why Johnny would want to kiss Maxynn,” Ethan said now, going back to our original subject while I just stood there and glared at him. “He's good looking and Maxynn just... isn't.”

“Is there something you want to tell me, bro?” Zach asked now with a wide grin. “You're not gay, are you?”

For the first time... well, ever, Ethan Deveraux actually blushed. It was almost remarkable how much he looked like a little version of Zach.

“I... I am not gay!”

“Zach! You shouldn't say things like that to a little kid!”

Zach looked over at me and shrugged. “Hey, I wouldn't be surprised. He's never liked any girls before. Ever. He's always just been really into school.”

“That's still a really mean thing to say to your little brother!” I snapped now, not knowing that Zach could ever be that cruel to his family. “Even though he doesn't act like it, he's just a child! He's a little kid, Zach!”

“I'm pretty sure he has better grades than you.”

I nearly fell over. “What is wrong with you?”

“What? I'm just speaking my mind,” Zach defended, as if that would let him get away with saying whatever the hell he wanted to. “If Ethan's gay, I just wouldn't think it would be that surprising, that's all.”

I looked over at the younger Deveraux brother to see his head down, his hair covering his face. I swallowed, or sure if I should talk to him or not.

“You're really horrible to everyone,” I scoffed to his older brother instead as I crossed my arms over my chest. I was sure glad that no one else was home, because I was sure it was embarrassing enough for Ethan with just me being there. “Just when I thought that you could actually be nice, you ruin it.”

“Hey, I said I'd be your knight in shining armor sometimes,” Zach snapped at me. “I didn't say I would be everyone's knight all the time.”

“She's right...” Ethan muttered just as I heard the front door unlock. Oh, crap! “She's right about everything! You don't care about anyone but yourself! I hate you!”

Just as Ethan yelled this, Elizabeth made her way inside with wide eyes. Ethan hurried up the stairs, away from all of us, and I couldn't help but feel bad for him. After all the obnoxious things he had said about me and to me, he was still just a little kid.

“What happened?” Elizabeth asked, placing her purse and keys on the counter as she looked at both Zach and me.

“Maxynn was the one that made him cry, not me,” Zach lied uncaringly, shoving his hands into his pockets before turning away and making his way up the stairs himself.