Let's Play a Game (32)

“I’m going to puke,” Ethan sung under his breath when Zach laced his fingers with mine. The older Deveraux brother and I glared at him, but he merely stuck his tongue out at us before going back to twiddling his thumbs.

I rested my head on Zach’s shoulder now, wanting nothing more than the baby to finally be here so I could see it and then go home. It had been hours, and yet we didn’t have any news about the baby just yet. I didn’t want to worry, but I really hoped that everything was going well for Kate. I didn’t know what I’d do if something happened to her.

“Did I miss it? Did I miss it?” we heard a new voice nearly shout as we continued to sit in the waiting room. “Did she have the baby already?”

I looked over to see that this familiar voice belonged to Aveline, and I nearly sunk right out of my seat. She had no reason to be there at all. Aveline and Kate might have not hated each other like we did, but I never thought of the two of them as great friends. She had to have been here just because Zach was.

“Is she okay?” Aveline asked now as she sat on the other side of Zach, right next to him. She was almost closer to him than I was. “I was texting Johnny and he told me that Kate went into labor! I definitely wanted to be here for the birth!”

I shot a glare at Johnny, who shrugged apologetically, as if he had no choice but to tell her where we were and what was going on. I guess I didn’t really blame him, since I was sure she wouldn’t have stopped bugging him until she told him the truth.

“I don’t remember you and Kate being such great friends,” I couldn’t help but snap at her now, my arms crossed tightly over my chest as I leaned back away from Zach, which only made Aveline lean into him even more. He didn’t even tell her to back off, even when his damn fiancée was right next to him. I tried not to make it obvious, but I was seriously getting ticked off at him never telling Aveline to stop touching him.

Zach noticed that I had moved away from him, but I wasn’t even looking at him anymore.

“Yeah, we go way back,” Aveline sneered at me now, but I wasn’t even listening to her anymore because her arms were now wrapping around Zach’s.

Johnny, Ethan, and Todd were looking at me as if they were waiting for me to snap and attack Aveline, but I wasn’t going to do that. I wasn’t going to be the violent this time; I had already broken her nose and once was enough. I’d probably get arrested if I punched her again.

I sighed, standing up from my seat and brushing my pants off before turning toward the exit of the waiting room. “I need to go to the restroom. I’ll be right back.”

This was absolutely ridiculous. Zach and I were supposed to get married and yet he wouldn’t even tell another girl to get off him. It was even worse since he knew I couldn’t stand the girl that was all over him.

I had accepted the fact that girls would be all over him, because just because he was in a committed relationship didn’t mean his looks were going to just disappear, but I thought Zach would have the decency to push them off, especially when he was in front of me. Was it really that hard for him?

I found myself in front of the room filled with the sleeping babies again, and I didn’t know why I kept going back to it. They just seemed so peaceful and calm, which was the exact opposite of what my life was right now. Someone was out to kill me, that person could have been the girl after my fiancé, and my best friend was having a baby. Things definitely could have been better.

“Is there a reason why you keep going back to the babies?” a new voice now asked from behind me, and I jumped in surprise before turning around to see that it was Zach, even though I didn’t even have to turn around to know this.